Author Topic: DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen
« on: Sunday 26 July 09 03:44 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details of this Dunsmore family in Canada on the census.  They immigrated from Scotland in about 1882.

James Dunsmore was born in Scotland in about 1853, and Clara Ellen was born in Somerset, England in about 1855.  They had at least one child, Albert Peter, b Devon in about 1875.

Thanks
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 09 04:32 BST (UK) »
You can search the 1891 Canada census by name at Library and Archives Canada. Images are available as well. Here's a link to the database:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/index-e.html
There is a James and Clara Dunsmore with eight children (including Albert) in Sherbrooke, Quebec on that census. Albert (15), James (13) and Peter (11) are listed as being born in England. Thomas (10) was listed as being born in Scotland while the other children - Garnet (6), Mary (4), Margaret (2) and Clarence (2 months) - are listed as being born in Quebec.

You can search the 1901 and 1911 Canada census for free at this site:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
The transcriptions do link to the images at LAC. I tried to find the family on the 1901 and 1911 census but came up empty.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 09 04:56 BST (UK) »
I found the following births/baptisms in the Drouin Collection at Ancestry:

Acton Vale (Protestant)

Peter, son of James Dunsmore of Acton Vale, Province of Quebec, agent of the Canadian Cooper and Sulphur Company, and Clara Ellen Townsend, his wife, was born February the twenty second, Anno Domini, eighteen hundred and eighty and baptized December the fourth, Anno Domini, eighteen hundred and eighty three.

Thomas Townsend, son of James Dunsmore of Acton Vale, Province of Quebec, agent of the Canadian Cooper and Sulphur Company, and Clara Ellen Townsend, his wife, was born June the twenty fifth, Anno Domini, eighteen hundred and eighty one and baptized December the fourth, Anno Domini, eighteen hundred and eighty three.

William Garnet, son of James Dunsmore of Acton Vale, Province of Quebec, agent of the Canadian Cooper and Sulphur Company, and Clara Ellen Townsend, his wife, was born May the eighteenth, Anno Domini, eighteen hundred and eighty four and was baptised January the twentieth the following year.

Sherbrooke (Church of England)

Mary Elizabeth, daughter of James Dunsmore of Sherbrooke, and Clara Ellen, his wife, was born on the second day of December eighteen hundred and eighty six and was baptized on this third day of August following.

Margaret Clara, daughter of James Dunsmore of Sherbrooke and Clara Townsend, his wife, was born on the sixteenth day of January eighteen hundred and eighty nine and was baptized on this first day of May next following.

Clarence Charles, son of James Dunsmore, Foreman at the Palon(?) Mill, Sherbrooke, Q, and of Clara Townsend, his wife, born on the seventeenth day of March eighteen hundred and ninety one, was baptized on this fourth day of October next following.

Clara Townsend, daughter of James Dunsmore, of the Palon(?) Mill, Sherbrooke, Q, and of Clara Ellen, his wife, born on the thirtieth day of November eighteen hundred and ninety three, was baptized on this eighteenth day of March eighteen hundred and ninety four.

There is a birth at ScotlandsPeople that was registered in Cambuslang, Glasgow in 1881 for Thomas Townsend Dunsmore. I didn't view the image.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 09 05:12 BST (UK) »
There is an entry for James and Clara with children James, Peter and Thomas arriving in Quebec on the Manitoban on 5 May 1882. Here's a link to the passenger list at LAC:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06rn/
I couldn't find Albert on any passenger lists so it is possible that he was missed for some reason when the rest of the family was listed.

Jacquie

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jacquie.  This was my first foray into Canadian territory, so thanks for directing me to those sites.  I had no idea they were available.

In regard to Albert, I am wondering if he travelled with his grandparents, Peter and Margaret.  I am not sure when they came, though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
There was a party of 16 Dunsmores destined for Sherbrooke who arrived in Quebec on the Grecian on 30 Sep 1880 but I didn't see any Alberts with the group. There was also a Cowan and Horton family going to Sherbrooke listed immediately after the Dunsmore party. I mention that because on a number of the birth/baptism entries there are witnesses named Cowan so the families may be connected somehow. Here's a link to the passenger list at LAC:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06ru/

Jacquie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
Death of Clara T. in 1897, Beauharnois PQ  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qchuntin/gleaner/1897.htm
sometime in 1901...James Townsend Dunsmore, married Mary Beffre. At Trinity Church, Beauharnois PQ

arghhh... they are there... but obviously mistranscribed or written badly...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qchuntin/gleaner/1899.htm
12-08-1899 Mrs. James Dunsmore, died at Beauharnois, age 45 years....
If this is she, then oddly no one used her full name...was James already gone as well?
We might be looking for only the children on census...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Garnet, Peter & James & wife (May Leffre?) ... in 1911 Lachine, Que.
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=108308

I see a death for Garnet William in 1912 on *A*
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
James....Dunemore  ::)
with Garnet as Janet...Thos. as Thor... ::) ::)
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=37700
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=37701 a new child "L" in 1896
Says girl but then so was Garnet...