Author Topic: DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen  (Read 4520 times)

Offline alanjam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 August 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
Albert P Dunsmore did not emigrate to Canada at the same time as his family.   In the 1881 census he was in Devon with John Isaac Parker and his wife Elizabeth.  The census record indicates that he was John's grandson.
It took me a while to work out how this could be possible but I think the story goes like this:
1. Elizabeth Palfrey was born about 1836 in Dunster, Somerset daughter of William Palfrey, farmer.
2. In the March quarter of 1854 she married Thomas Townsend, son of Henry, a farmer.  Registered at Williton, Somerset.
3. Clara Ellen Townsend was baptised on 18 Aug 1854 to Thomas Townsend, Timbescombe (near Dunster), miller and Elizabeth his wife.
4. I don't know what became of Thomas, but Elizabeth Townsend married John Isaac Parker in the March quarter of 1871.  Registered in London.
5. Clara Ellen Townsend married James Dunsmore in Devon in June quarter of 1875.
6. Albert Peter Parker Dunmore was born in Devon in the June quarter of 1876, mother Townsend.
7. John Parker died in 1882, after which I can find no further record in England of Elizabeth or Albert.

So there is little doubt that Elizabeth Palfrey/Townsend/Parker was Albert's grandmother but could John Parker have been his grandfather, as stated in the census?   Maybe.  Albert was clearly conceived before Thomas and Elizabeth married and it is just possible that John Parker was already on the scene.  A good use for a DNA test, especially if Albert has male-line descendants.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 August 19 04:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ( Oops, sorry, now see you have been here for years)   Couldn't see a death for Thomas either...
Don't see Thomas Townsend b. 1827 Devon, in 1861 census, although see Elizabeth & Clara age 6 were boarding in London, Kensington.
Elizabeth does say married, not widowed, but who knows, as sometimes that was said for a feeling of safety, if the husband was dead or absconded. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7VH-DKJ

Clara Ellen as a teen, with grandmother & step grandfather (and step aunt? who's younger than she is ) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFJF-ZV1 

Not positive, as he's a farmer on census...but my own grandfather was both these occupations, so not unlikely at all.
? Mary Palfrey remarriage to Thomas Brewer  June quarter 1868    Dulverton  vol.5c p.489
BREWER   Thomas   Mary PALFREY   20 Apr 1868 / by licence / occ. carpenter   
  witnesses: William Melhuish - Ann Melhuish
  widow & widower, Thomas x Timberscombe  fathers: Thomas Brewer & James Jones
   http://sites.rootsweb.com/~pbtyc/H_m_w/Skilgate/marr_1.html

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 August 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  You're right, I haven't been on here for a while!  Thanks for the personal message as I did not get the topic update notification.  I believe Elizabeth Parker nee Palfrey later marries an Alexandre Witkowski and dies in Somerset.  My interest was from theTownsend angle, trying to find out what happens to Thomas.  You're right, something might turn up from DNA at a later date.  Thanks for your info.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 August 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
You're welcome for the heads up. When the site gets busy I always say it goes "boing" and notifications get turned off again. This was not just a chase for Thomas Townsend, as it was clearly a Dunsmore search ( see subject line for the title of the request)  but I did add the post re: his family in case someone wanted to look for him further, as he is related to the subjects. All the best  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com