Author Topic: DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DUNSMORE - James and Clara Ellen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 August 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra info, JJ.
I don't know why Mrs James Dunsmore wasn't entered as Clara Townsend Dunsmore.  If my information is correct, her husband remarried and did not pass away  till 1935.

I don't seem to be able to find Albert the oldest son on the census in 1901, as he is not with the rest of the family, but I must admit I have not searched exhaustively yet.

There seems to be an indication he was in Michigan in 1920, 1930.  I don't know about 1910, though. 

The new child "L" in 1896 is actually Elizabeth Isobel.  I dont know how that came to be L, unless they said "Bell" short for Isobel.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 August 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
It says Jas. Dunsmore Male Widower, I imagine...altho we can dispute the gender mixup with Garnet later on....
But there is no "Mrs" in there for sure ....
Also it says Maitre which is master...but then it say contre...having seen the word before I think the contre was supposed to have been replacing the word crossed out above which would make the word contremaitre...foreman....so it is James...

burial in the Druin records prior to 1901 for a Clara in 1897 and a( oh, right, found that was daughter, earlier) Clara Ella in 1899...a lookup to see if this is wife, Clara...Ugh I see I also found that death earlier...
so I haven't the foggiest what you are asking....

Also the family may have called Elizabeth "El"...nicknames or favourites of multiple names seem to have always been allowed in those days...which is why we have trouble finding some people....J.J.

By the way I went through all of Beauharnois transcriptions looking for a Clara or a James or a Garnet before I found Dun....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
Clara Ella Townsend, of England, wife of James Dunsmore, of Scotland, died Dec 8, 1899 and was buried under the name dunsmore Dec 10, 1899.

James Dunsmore d. August 24, 1935, age 85 and buried Sept 1, 1935 witnessed by James T. Dunsmore.  So far no record of a second marriage.

Elizabeth Isabella born May 20, 1896  Father was a mill foreman

Isabel, daughter of James Dunsmore and Clara Ellen Townsend died Lamrins(?) New York State Oct 6, 1923 and buried Oct 8, 1923.  Aged 27.  Witnesses James and James T. Dunsmore.

Garnet William Dunsmore died Oct 16, 1912, aged 28.  Present at burial James and Thomas Dunsmore.  Lachine (Anglican, Saint Stephen).

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
James Townsend Dunsmore married May Beffre April 4, 1901.  His occupation was mechanic.
May Dunsmore (Beffre) died at the Lachine General Hospital Dec 13, 1936.  Witnesses to burial were James, Peter and C.C. Dunsmore.  James' occupation was insurance business.

Peter Dunsmore of Lachine, Quebec, son of James Dunsmore and Clara Townsend married Janet Gamble Sept 15, 1919.  Father James was a witness.  (St. Andrew Presbyterian, Lachine)
So far found 2 children for this couple
Garnet William b. July 11, 1920 and
T. J.  b. March 22, 1927 at Lachine General Hospital.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
There is an online ancestry tree that shows the information given in this thread as well as the marriage of Thomas Henry Dunsmore to Kathleen Hurley Nov 13, 1915 York and
Clarence Charles marrying Ina Stewart, Margaret Clara marrying Edgar Lutsey and Mary Elizabeth marrying Harry Pope (these without documentation).
Perhaps you should contact the owner of the online tree and compare notes.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
http://www.albanycounty.com/departments/achor/naturalizationIndexesDetail.asp?offset=32630
Link to naturalization records for Margaret Clara Dunsmore

On the 1930 US census she is living with Edgar and son Emory J. (24) in Oneonto Otsego New York State.  Her year of immigration is 1908.  She is employed as a stenographer.  Edgar is working for the steam railway as a signal supervisor.  Social Security Death Index for Margaret Lutsey shows her last residence as Oneonta Otsega New York and her SSN issued by Railway Board.  B. Jan 16, 1889 and d. July 1980.  She is probably there in the 1910 and 1920 US census but I didn't look.

1930 US census for Clarence C.  Dunsmore (39) b. Canada and emigrated 1926.  Working as a Caretaker, Salesman in a bakery in Detroit City, Wayne County, Michigan.  Living with his wife Georgina(37) b. Ireland emigrated 1912.  Ina as a short form of Georgina.

Debbie

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, Debbie, nice of you to add more, but you need to remove the names of those who may be living, please....
That is what the p.m. system is for...However you may use initials instead of the forename...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 August 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/
If you search here at Avondale Cemetery Stratford - Perth County, Downie Township you find a Thomas Dunsmore and a Kathleen Dunsmore (Hurl) which may or may not tie in with your family.  You have to  follow the links to the specific genealogical society which holds the transcriptions for the headstones and contac them for further details.

Debbie

Offline Aussie possum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 August 09 04:30 BST (UK) »
Cosmac, someone with ancestry access has contacted the tree owner on my behalf several weeks ago, but they said they were on holidays and would contact on their return, so I guess I will have to be patient.  Of course, one cannot guarantee that they will answer at all, hence my own research.  I could not see from their tree how they would connect at all, so it will be very interesting if they reply.

This part of my Townsend tree just seemed to disappear into a big black hole until I saw the entries and followed up on them.  it is marvellous how sometimes it all falls into place when you are least expecting!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.