Author Topic: legitimising a child in 19th century  (Read 3315 times)

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
Re: legitimising a child in 19th century
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
You all show good knowledge and Guy nice list of relevant acts I have just bookmarked it as it holds most the laws that are important in out line of work, there are a few more recent ones that are important but you have most the old ones.
Raphael, be careful what you found was the 2nd reading of the act it took 2 more years before it was passed although had very few changes in-between.
The 1926 legitimacy act allowed as well as other things, for illegitimate children who were STILL alive when the act was passed to be legitimated by the subsequent marriage of there parents, providing that both parties were free to get married when the child was born (it may be conceived I don't have time to read it up and my brain is a little fried as it is almost home time)

We often find that because of the stigma associated with illegitimate births some time there would be incorrect information entered on a birth cert, it is often the case that the mother would enter her fathers name on the birth cert as the farther, and even her mother's maiden name as her own, illegal but very few people would ever know. later when illegitimate births are not as frond upon ie as the time of a marriage then the illegitimate child just does not put a father down, remember that there used to be very few checks when you applied to give notices of marriage, it is a little different now but I don't know if you have to show a birth cert to prove the details you are giving are correct. after all how many time have you seen a marriage cert when the bride has taken several years off there age to make them closer the the groom.

I hope this answers your question.