Author Topic: Service family at Duns and Coldstream  (Read 16540 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Service family at Duns and Coldstream
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Oh, well done Beckey, your persistence paid off! There's another brother to add to the tally, and there I was thinking John's family wasn't very prolific. I wonder if any of them married and/or came south of the border? Maybe my mum has Service cousins out there somewhere.... It seems really weird that my mum never heard anything much about her gran's side of the family.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
re connections with royalty

my father and father in law both worked for the Queen  8)

they were in the army and the navy ;D

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Oooh, in that case I've got loads of rellies with 'royal' connections.... ;) ;D

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
I've just found a marriage for a George Service and Margaret Lindsay, 3 Dec 1875, Duns, Berwick, but nothing for Robert, though he may simply have married after 1875, in which case it won't show. James appears to have remained a batchelor, judging by the 1881 census, unless he married very late, ditto Thomas.

Offline Violetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 July 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
 :-* Hello Geordie Daughter

Like you I am  mewcomer here - Ladykirk Farm.  You may be interested to know I have connections with Duns a the Hay family.  My great great uncle Charles Clements was butler to Mr Hay after the !st World War.  I believe he was his batman.

That is how a Hampshire man ended up in Duns.

Quite seperate family to the Scottish /Norham ones.

I wish you good luck in your search. 

I started less than a week ago too,  so not likely to offer any advice.  like you I have had so much help here.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 July 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message, Violetta. It's most appreciated! Your great great uncle must be a fascinating research subject...he must have led a really interesting life!

It will be interesting to see if my lot have connections to the Hays, like yours, rather than the Duke of Roxburghe, or if it's all smoke and mirrors. Although I'm a newcomer to this forum, I've been researching my family tree on and off for the last twenty years, but I still feel like an amateur! Forum members have helped me to solve so many knotty problems, and pointed me to the things I've stupidly overlooked, more times than I care to remember.

Good luck to you too!

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 July 09 09:54 BST (UK) »
Terry

I went and sent your message back to you before I'd replied to it, nitwit that I am, and now I can't send my reply, as I keep getting an error message!! Could you PM me again so I can reply?

Thanks.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 July 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
There are sevaral areas of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire connected to the Earl of Roxburgh, as an example the Parish of Makerstoun (Roxburghshire) was around 12 miles square, most of the land occupied by the parish belonged to Sir Thomas and Lady Makdougal Brisbane, the remainder under the ownership of the Duke of Roxburghe.

Bowden Kirk (Roxburghshire) has a long history, founded in 1128 the church was at one point a virtual ruin. After the reformation the chancel was used as a burial area by the Roxburghe family.
In 1909 the Duke of Roxburgh paid for the renovation of the chancel and the 17th century Laird's Loft was relocated to the current position, the Laird (an elder of the Kirk) stil uses the Laird's Loft. The organ was installed in 1912.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
You sound like just the person I need, Glen, so I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains! Do you know whether the Duke of Roxburghe had land at or around Duns? I've so far been unable to establish any particular link with my Services and the Duke's estates. John's family appears to have lived in Duns, Coldstream, Hutton, Edrom and Clockmill at various stages of their lives, if that's any help, but I've no idea where his father lived prior to his marriage to Christian Brown. Also, do you know anything about bleaching fields or a bleaching mill in Clockmill, for example, who the landlord was? I'd be really grateful if you can provide any answers to these questions.