Author Topic: Free 1911 Census Access  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Free 1911 Census Access
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 August 09 18:21 BST (UK) »
Two hours for 35 miles on the M4. Surely you can do better by train!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 August 09 21:15 BST (UK) »

I wasn't really being serious about you offering lookups. Can you imagine how many requests you'd get! It's be a full time unpaid job ...  ;)

I know the feeling  ::) ::) ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Darren S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 August 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Two hours for 35 miles on the M4. Surely you can do better by train!

Actually, given that I live 4 miles away from the nearest train station, and that Kew is nowhere near the lines from London to Reading, it would have probably taken longer than that.  ;) The journey normally takes about 50 minutes by car, but as I said, there were big problems on the M4 that Friday afternoon.

But we digress..  :D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 August 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Point taken Darren, We moved south 2 years ago from Doncaster, and so far I have not become used to the time taken to get to Waterloo, 1hour 45 min from Bournemouth for 108 miles, when we could travel from Doncaster to London in approx 90minutes for 156 miles.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 August 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Roger when I lived in hastings it was 1.45 for a 46 mile journey by train

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 August 09 18:24 BST (UK) »
As a northerner now living in the South of England, I am frequently surprised at the lack of infrastructure down here, and where it exists it's low quality. The Weymouth to Waterloo line has a 3 rail electric system which is over 70 years old. A problem with this type of installation is that it will never wear out, it is already obsolete. Straying again from the original topic, which was of course Free 1911 census access, and I caused the straying! Smack! Smack!

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 August 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
I wonder why Wales only has Aberystwyth ?

Surely Cardiff is more accessible for the largest number of people ??   North Wales has easy access by train to Manchester ...

Oh well ... I'll just continue to wait ...  :'(
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 August 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
What about us poor devils overseas? Imagine how long we'll have to wait! As I said on another thread, I've failed completely to access FindMyPast....... something to do with cookies and being in the wrong time zone??????? Also paying for credits is quite expensive.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
Ruskie mentions the risks of offering lookups, I have posted two groups where I have information which is worth sharing, with considerable fear of being overwhelmed by demand. So far my fears are groundless, I have had three requests for information, two from the same person on one post, and one only on the other. This over a period of about 8 weeks. Probably this post will open the floodgates!