Author Topic: Free 1911 Census Access  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Free 1911 Census Access
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:49 BST (UK) »

I think you will find according to the Government the South East is covered, SEEDA and SEERA (whoever they are!) probably include Birmingham in the South East  :( ::)

Kerry

I don't think so,   More likely to be Norwich or Devon  :)

Anyway - where's Kew  if not the SE. You do have that.

Gadget

Ps - Audrey and I are going to take our flasks and sarnies and camp out - Pels might pop up for a day out as well   ;)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Look everyone I don't wish to sound envious  (OK, I'm envious) because I do appreciate it's frustrating that not all libraries will be involved and some are difficult to get to.
But look on the bright side - at least we can look at it, even on line at a price.    The Scottish Government is sticking to the 100 year rule and it will be 2011 before we can get in to that - and then it will be at Scotland's People rates!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:44 BST (UK) »

I think you will find according to the Government the South East is covered, SEEDA and SEERA (whoever they are!) probably include Birmingham in the South East  :( ::)

Kerry

I don't think so,   More likely to be Norwich or Devon  :)

Anyway - where's Kew  if not the SE. You do have that.

Gadget

Whichever one, in the eyes of Oliver Morley the South East is covered.  Whether we agree with that or not is probably not that important to him.

Personally I agree with Maggie and for a few pence and some wise searching I'll stick to my computer.  ::) ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:46 BST (UK) »
Well I'm not gonna complain even if I do have to travel to Nottinghamshire Archives.  Thing is they gonna be so overwhelmed it will be 12 months before I can get in lol
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Darren S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 August 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
It's strange the press release doesn't mention that the 1911 census is already free to view at the National Archives in Kew, and has been for some time.

I went there about a month ago; there were literally hundreds of terminals available, and you didn't even need to sign in or anything, just turn up, sit at a terminal and start searching! Apparently they have relaxed their security there recently, you only need reader's cards to get into the reading rooms. They have a large free carpark as well.

You just need to go armed with cash to buy printouts of the sheets, at 20p a go. I got all mine printed out in one day, I think I spent £3.60.

Darren

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 August 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
Darren,

Are you available for lookups?  ;D

Is it possible to save to a USB drive?

(I must say that I am most surprised by the free carpark  :o).

Offline Darren S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 August 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Afraid not - I took a day's holiday to go to Kew as a one-off. I live about 35 miles away, it actually took me 2 hours to get back on the afternoon I went due to problems on the M4!  >:(

I would have preferred to email the census images to myself (as I have done with the 1841-1901 censuses when viewing them at the local library), but the computers are very locked down at TNA, there's no access to a hard drive or USB devices, so no ability to save an attachment, also all email sites are blocked, so they've done a good job there. Plus the T&Cs clearly state that you mustn't use the system for any of those purposes. I am a fairly techy person who works in IT, and there was definitely no way around their security, even if I had dared to use it...

I went purely to view the scans, having already found the records I wanted through the 1911 site without spending a penny. I had already established most of what I wanted to know; I was mostly interested in seeing other, more minor bit of information, such as occupations, children born/died/total/years of marriage, etc.

Darren

Offline Darren S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 August 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Afraid not - I took a day's holiday to go to Kew as a one-off. I live about 35 miles away, it actually took me 2 hours to get back on the afternoon I went due to problems on the M4!  >:(

I would have preferred to email the census images to myself (as I have done with the 1841-1901 censuses when viewing them at the local library), but the computers are very locked down at TNA, there's no access to a hard drive or USB devices, so no ability to save an attachment, also all email sites are blocked, so they've done a good job there. Plus the T&Cs clearly state that you mustn't use the system for any of those purposes. I am a fairly techy person who works in IT, and there was definitely no way around their security, even if I had dared to use it...

I went purely to view the scans, having already found the records I wanted through the 1911 site without spending a penny. I had already established most of what I wanted to know; I was mostly interested in seeing other, more minor bit of information, such as occupations, children born/died/total/years of marriage, etc.

Darren

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 August 09 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Darren

I wasn't really being serious about you offering lookups. Can you imagine how many requests you'd get! It's be a full time unpaid job ...  ;)

PS Welcome to rootschat Willow!  :)