Author Topic: Higgins in Wem Shropshire???  (Read 1489 times)

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Higgins in Wem Shropshire???
« on: Wednesday 29 July 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all!
Im really stuck and need some help.
I am trying to find my great great great great-grandfather on the 1841 census.  John Higgins states on all later census returns that he came from salop in Wem and was born in 1823. (He later lived in Bilston and was married twice first was susannah evans from trewern in montgomeryshire and second wife was a jane ashley whos original maiden name was wainwright.)
I know that there could be variations in spelling etc so i am trying that, but there is a family story that says that the they were big Irishmen. I have not found any Irish link whatso ever as to yet, but have wondered if it could be possible that John was actually born in Ireland and not in Wem as is stated on the census, however there are a lot of Higgins's in Wem. Can anyone out there please help??????
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Higgins in Wem Shropshire???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Dawnyj  :)

The nerest match I can find for the christening of your John on the IGI (www.familysearch.org) is:

John Higgins
21 July 1822
Wem, Shropshire

parents John and Maria
(other children chistened in the same place to parents John and Maria Higgins: George 1814, Mary 1816, Elizabeth 1819, Deborah 1825, Richard 1830) There's a possible marriage for a John Higgins to a Maria at Wem in 1814.

How about this 1841 census?

HO107/1001/6 8 10
Bilston, Staffordshire
Bridge St

John Higgins, 45, Bricklayer
John, 15, Bricklayer
Maria, 40
Mary, 20
Deborah, 15
Maria, 1
/
John Williamson, 45, Carpenter
George Twigger, 45, Cl Miner

All born out of the county (and the 1851 census confirms that their birth place was Wem, John now age 63 and Maria age 59)

What do your John's marriage certs say about his father - was his name John too?

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
I think my mum has the marriage cert for John and I think
 it states j higgins for Johns father
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
I think this stands a chance of being him. He was a bricklayer i know that. and Ive just been told that ages were rounded up or down on the 1841 census. I believed he would be 17 so he would apparently have been rounded down to 15? If this is correct then it must be him

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
I believed he would be 17 so he would apparently have been rounded down to 15? If this is correct then it must be him
Yes, ages for people over 15 were generally rounded down to the nearest 5 in 1841  :)

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
thanks again.

This helps a lot, my mum will be delighted when I see her later. We were beginnig tgo think we had reached the end of the road here.
You wouldnt by anychance know if it Identified a church for the baptism would you?

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Just spoken to Mum..its a bit confusing...she doesnot think that this is the right family, she has some documents at home she will bring around later for us to do some digging, thanks anyway

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
The IGI just says Wem - are there several?  :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06sl/

Oh, just seen your last post - what a shame, it looked good to me. Anyway, come back with any new info you can gather, especially certificate details  :)

I'm afraid of no ghost