Author Topic: Retreat Place, Parkstone.  (Read 6964 times)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Retreat Place, Parkstone.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo and Red'

Wow! that would be marvellous.  I guess that Retreat Place must have contained a row of houses as my relly was listed as being in No 10.
I refer to the 1891 census so anything could have happened in 100 years.

Again very many thanks for you kind help.

Dud
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi .Me again.

Another clue is that on previous pages the enumerator covered thr Retreat Hotel in Kinson Road, then Randolph Road and then back and forth btween Hitching (?) Terrace and Retreat Place.
Maybe this helps.  Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
There must be a great deal of renaming; modern Kinson Road is at least 2 miles fromthe area you are interested in.Have Randolph Road, but can' find a Hitching Terrace. Other names in the immediate area are Belmont Road, Weymouth Road, Pearson Avenue, Salisbury Road. There is a pub in the area now named the Victoria Cross, I suspect that this may have been named the Retreat Hotel at that time. The main road is now called Ashley Road. Can you give any other names?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Red'

Have just learnt that Safeways was built on the Parkstone Hants and Dorset depot and the Retreat Hotel.  Reckon it all dissapeared under the heading of progress.
Thanks for helping.  Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
Confirm this, have found the Retreat Hotel on 1900 Old Maps site. When you get in the site type in Parkstone, and then enlarge the map.The Retreat Hotel was in the square bounded by Ashley Road, Richmond Road, Woking Road and Mansfield Road, I would guess between Salisbury Road, and the current Waitrose (was Safeway, the Morrison's) Will look Saturday when I visit Waitrose! Couldn't find Retreat Place, but the map was too hazy to see much at all other than main names.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I have had a walk along Woking Road and there are a couple of places where there could have been an earlier development which no longer exists. On one side of Woking Road, there is an area off this, a road and quite a large complex at the rear. There are new houses on this now, it appears to have been made up recently, a new road etc. There is no name that I can see, it just had Private Road at the entrance.

On the other side of Woking Road, a bit further along, there is another small road way with houses along it. No name that I could see.

Do you have the reference of the 1891 census which shows Retreat Place? I have looked through some of the Parkstone entries but cannot find it.

I will go to the library tomorrow and look through some old directories of the area to see what street names are given there at that time. Is there anyone in particular you are looking for?

I shall be in Waitrose on Saturday too!

Jo

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo.

The 1891 ref is RG12/1639 page 12.  The family listed at No 10 were my rellies.  Harry, head, was my gt. grandfather and his son Mark my grandfather.
I was curious as to where they lived. The family originated in Cranborne. When Harry and Tamar married they moved to Constitution Hill and then to Retreat Place. In the 1898/9s the family moved to Camberley in Surrey this being a developing town. Both Harry and Mark had business as builders employing about twenty men.
I was curious as to where they were living, but if the place no longer exists
is not worth visiting.
Thanks for your help. Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 August 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I found that old street maps and directories in the Poole Museum, the library doesn't hold any of these. They have a Local History Centre at the Museum, so I have learned something myself.

The directories of Parkstone are not done on a street by street basis. The are in names of residents and only the more prosperous ones at that.

The very helpful lady produced several maps of that era. These show the Retreat Hotel and Woking Road etc. We could not find Sandy Lane, Hitchings Terrace, or some of the other places mentioned by the enumerator. The maps show the larger roads only. It was clear that there were many more minor ones but these are not named.

Looking at the census, I can say that Randolph Road is still there. This appears on Page 9. The Retreat Hotel is where Waitrose is now. The maps show clusters of houses at the back of Woking Road and the Retreat Hotel. These ran along the rear and side of Randolph Road too.

I think we can say for sure that Retreat Place does not exist now. Randolph Road is still there however.

The area can be viewed quite well on Google maps and it is possible to see the new development of houses to the rear of Woking Road.

Jo

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Site playing me up tonight, this is my 5th attempt to get onto this thread! As promised I cased the area this morning at 8.45am after visiting Waitrose,probably walked over the site of Retreat Place at the veg area, I can confirm Jo's findings, and like her was struck by the unamed private road on the north side of Woking Road, from the outside though the properties on this road appeared new without going inside I was unable to determine whether they were in fact a very heavy refurbishment of older cottages. The Liberal Club on Salisbury Road was built 100 years ago, foundation stone laid by Lady Wimborne 1909. From the 1900 map I called up on old maps and the position of the Retreat, a look at a later map (say c1920) should determine the precise position of Retreat Place in relation to the Liberal club, my guess would be immediately adjoining it.