Author Topic: Ellen McGrath--help please Now completed  (Read 1016 times)

Offline tcab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen McGrath--help please Now completed
« on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Ellen McGrath, my grandmother, was born in South Mimms Middx on 1st July 1875.
She married George Brittain on 1st March 1896.
In 1897 and 1898 she produced two daughters with Edward Phelps--a soldier and they were I believe based in Aldershot. I cannot trace any marriage---if married when he was in the Army would the records appear in the usual places? Also I cannot find records of the two births using the normal internet resources.
Phelps died 24 February 1908 and Ellen then married Thomas Edward Page on 29 November 1909 using the name Phelps and describing herself as a widow. She subsequently married Albert Grant on 20 April 1915.
I realise she may not have married Phelps but would like to try to tie up the loose ends.

Any help or a push in the right direction gratefully received.
Black
McGrath
Tapper
Voller

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen McGrath--help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello tcab,

I have found these records for you to consider. I assume you have the 1901 Census record since you know of 2 daughters?

These records are all from FreeBMD

Birth....

Ivy Brittain
Sep qtr 1898
Farnham Reg Dist (Aldershot is in this district)

Possible Marriage.....

Ellen Brittain
Charles Phelps
Dec qtr 1900
Farnham Reg Dist

The 1901 Census has Mr. Phelps down as Edward C. born Woolich

Probable Birth.....

Edward Charles Phelps
Jun qtr 1877
Woolich Reg Dist

Was George Brittain in the Services? If so, might he have died in another country if he was serving there?

I haven't found any record of a birth for Evelyn.

Added: stepchildren often took the name of the stepfather if they were very young, as possibly happened in the 1901 Census.

Regards,
Polarbear :)
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline tcab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your research.
I`m sure you have the right Phelps because family records suggest he was born in May 1877 and regarding Ivy I think she was born in May 1898 so that could be a fit.

As far as George Brittain is concerned his occupation on the marriage certificate is shown as a range marker so a possible forces  connection ?

It looks as if Edward preferred to be called Charles so I will apply for a marriage certificate to tie the bits and pieces together.

Appreciate your assistance.
tcab
Black
McGrath
Tapper
Voller

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi tcab,

You're very welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada