Author Topic: virgin beginners help please  (Read 7111 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: virgin beginners help please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 July 09 07:49 BST (UK) »
I'm reminded about 'standby' and power usage when I navigate the house in the 'dark' by the numerous lights  ::) ... like Lizzie we rarely turn appliances off at the power point.  If we are away for some time we do though, and have to remind OH about the video recorder if it has been set for anything.
We always used to turn the modem off each evening until we had trouble with the on/off button wearing out and were then advised it wasn't necessary, we have a fast broadband connection.
At work we only turn the screen off each night as the computers are worked on remotely after hours.
 :) mare

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 July 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
I suspect littlewren switches things off for the same reason I do - it seems wrong to waste energy. Before I got broadband I just used to turn off the computer, monitor and printers individually. The broadband box and the router don't seem to have individual switches - I'd have to crawl under my desk and pull out a cupboard to reach the only socket with a switch. This is why I was worried - it seems to imply they shouldn't be switched off.

Personally, I'd have liked virgin to leave a simple manual with do's and dont's. Guy has reassured me that switching it all off when I get the place rewired won't cause the heavens to fall in, but I am cursed where electronic stuff is concerned, so if it can go wrong I bet it will.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 July 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
I was told it costs about 1p per day to leave things on standby ... so with the computer, printer, TV, video, lamps, planks, chargers ... all those little red lights ... I went round the house and counted as I switched off ... I had over twenty !   I'm more than happy to save 20p per day, £1.40 per week, or £72.80 per year ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 July 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
I know it can add up a bit and I have to remind myself to make more effort with some appliances, wouldn't want to be resetting all those clocks too regularly though.

Often after I've turned the computer off when I think I have finished, suddenly remember something I've forgotten to check or email  ::) if I'm home during the day I put it to sleep between sessions  :)

With a fireman in the house, we are aware of overloading plugs etc
... and it is probably a good idea to keep up to good habits Littlewren, just not compulsory  :) mare

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 July 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
It doesn't really matter whether you switch the broadband modem/router off or not, as long as you don't switch it on and off more than about 4 times in an hour, because this can cause the broadband line management to kick in, because it will think you have a fault on the line, and you may get a temporary reduction in speed.  You can turn the router and PC on together, because I've yet to find a PC which boots up faster than a broadband modem can log in.

Of course, if you do choose to switch off, you will save a little on the electricity bills.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 July 09 15:29 BST (UK) »
I was told it costs about 1p per day to leave things on standby ... so with the computer, printer, TV, video, lamps, planks, chargers ... all those little red lights ... I went round the house and counted as I switched off ... I had over twenty !   I'm more than happy to save 20p per day, £1.40 per week, or £72.80 per year ...

A TV on standby does not just draw power to illuminate the light, there are other drains of energy giving standby consumption of between 1 watt and 20 watts per night.
Not a lot but it still adds up over the year, this is more apparent in a house with a number of children each who has their own TV, DVD/Video etc. etc.
It is quite easy to burn 5 or 6 hundred watts per night just on standby.
Cheers
Guy
Spelling :(
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 July 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
I agree with Guy.  Turn it all off.  I have everything connected to my computer on a single switch which I turn off once the computer has closed down.

I cut my electricity bill by 10% when I got into the habit of turning everything off that I didn't need.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:46 BST (UK) »
Littlewren

I was prompted by this thread to ring the dreaded helpline today and ask about the 'security' they said I'd get with the higher speed package. 'It is put on automatically?' I asked.
'No, you have to download it yourself,' I was told. BUT noone had told me that before. I'd been using the broadband for days thinking my system was protected, when it wasn't. Maybe you knew this already, but I thought I'd mention it in case you're as naive as I am!
Lesley

Offline goldy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
don't rely on it use your own firewall and virus program.  we use free comodo and avast
Cooper     Camberwell. Manchester
Callow        I.O.M.
Ellis, Heatley, Hayden,  Manchester
Mellings     Mertha