Author Topic: Desford burial, 1811 - UPTON thread!  (Read 26370 times)

Offline Ottawa_John

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Desford burial, 1811 - UPTON thread!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Well I have an Elizabeth Upton marrying Simon Richards in Hinkley in May 1798, they then settled in Hinkley (Simon was widowed at this time) and later moved to Billsdon.

One son Charles (born Hinkley 1800) married a Holyland (noted your list) in Balby Methodist Chapel in 1824.  Their granddaughter born Leicester 1883 was my grand-mother.

Coming back to the question, this Elizabeth Upton is right age  and rightish place, that is about all I have. So this Elizabeth, if I could prove the link (the right Elizabeth?) could be 3rd great grand mother.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 21 July 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Firstly, hoave you seen the marraige registration for Elizabeth and Simon? I can't remember when witnesses started being named but that offer clues.

Secondly, who was your Holyland grandmother? We could well be related!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Ottawa_John

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 21 July 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie (I hope I can call you Annie),
You are right, I need to order the micro film through the FHC here in Ottawa of the Hinkley Parish. As I said I am only just getting back in to Leicestershire, for many years I have been bogged down in London issues, which out of frustration I have abandoned for a time and doing other research.

I hope they recorded "daughter and son of" info or at least the witnesses. Maybe the banns may help. I have one for St Mary Nottingham about 1820 and that does have witnesses and fathers.

My Holyland is Anne Holyland, who married Charles Richards the son of this Simon and Elizabeth (nee Upton) Richards.
Anne was the daughter of John and Judith (nee Parker) Holyland and baptised in Balby 1801
John (the Father) was baptised in Ratby 1770  looks to be the son of a John baptised in Desford 1737
Before that we have a William baptised 1701 and a Thomas 1679 both Desford.

Hope something matches.

John

Firstly, hoave you seen the marraige registration for Elizabeth and Simon? I can't remember when witnesses started being named but that offer clues.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 22 July 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
I'm going to start a new Holyland thread rather than derail this one - this thread keeps coming back to life with new Upton researchers so it would be nice it if can still do that in the future!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=545452.new
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 13 July 19 15:29 BST (UK) »
I have a connection to John Holyland & Judith Parker... On my tree they have a daughter Frances, who was my 4th Great Grandmother.

John.

Hi Annie (I hope I can call you Annie),
You are right, I need to order the micro film through the FHC here in Ottawa of the Hinkley Parish. As I said I am only just getting back in to Leicestershire, for many years I have been bogged down in London issues, which out of frustration I have abandoned for a time and doing other research.

I hope they recorded "daughter and son of" info or at least the witnesses. Maybe the banns may help. I have one for St Mary Nottingham about 1820 and that does have witnesses and fathers.

My Holyland is Anne Holyland, who married Charles Richards the son of this Simon and Elizabeth (nee Upton) Richards.
Anne was the daughter of John and Judith (nee Parker) Holyland and baptised in Balby 1801
John (the Father) was baptised in Ratby 1770  looks to be the son of a John baptised in Desford 1737
Before that we have a William baptised 1701 and a Thomas 1679 both Desford.

Hope something matches.

John

Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)