Author Topic: Alford Lincs burials  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Alford Lincs burials
« on: Thursday 30 July 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John Luffman was buried in Alford in Nov 1823. Presumably this would be the churchyard, or had the cemetery opened by then. Is there any record of his burial giving detail of where he was born etc.? I'm getting reeally desperate on this one.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Alford Lincs burials
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 09 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you google Alford Cemetry there are details about how they will do a search for you. I had a friend who used to live near Alford, lovely part of the country.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, will try that.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
He was buried at the churchyard - cemeteries didn't start until c1855 (actually was 1881 at Alford).  
www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Alford/

His 1797 marriage to the widow TROY was probably the first LUFFMAN marriage in Lincs.  I expect he came from Wilts or Hants like most of the LUFFMANs.

Incidentally, the marriage is on FreeREG http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=870692
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Geoff, He did in fact come to Alford as a member of the Somerset Fencible Militia, formed 1794. I believe he was born in Henstridge Somerset in 1776 the illegitimate son of Betty Meatyard, and William Luffman (probably Jnr.) This branch of the Luffman family seems to have lived earlier in Oborn Dorset (nr Sherborne), but things get really complicated as in this immediate area there are 3 counties, Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire all within a very few miles. Doesn't make research any easier when using three record centres i.e.Chippenham, Dorchester and Taunton, particularly as I use the trains.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:19 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, I don't believe his wife Ann Troy nee Walsh was a widow, there is no record of the death of her husband Edward Troy. I suspect he had done a runner.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, I don't believe his wife Ann Troy nee Walsh was a widow, there is no record of the death of her husband Edward Troy. I suspect he had done a runner.

Has someone checked the burial register then?

I see there were two illeg sons for Ann in 1790 and 1793.  I find it hard to believe that they would have let her marry again in Alford (assuming she never left the place) without a burial for Edward.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:05 BST (UK) »
Geoff, I have checked Alford burial register, burials for several surrounding parishes, the IGI and had my findings checked by another researcher. Unless we both missed it Edward Troy is still walking around today!

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just looked at my copy of the NBI and found what appears to be the man you are looking for

2 Nov 1823 John Luffman aged 47 buried at Alford, St Wilfred

So he must be in the churchyard. Will add it to my things to be checked out next time I am in Lincoln Archive but I expect it is correct as the Lincolnshire Family History Society people are very good and they will have done the research for the NBI.

Janeada

Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE