Author Topic: Doreen Gordon Russell  (Read 3152 times)

Offline antopark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doreen Gordon Russell
« on: Thursday 30 July 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be kind enough to look up the details of Doreen Gordon Russell  , she appears on the California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957 but I don't have access. Any info on arrival date, ship, travelling companions etc? Also, if anyone can track her after this date and possibly her husband captain(?) sidney herbert russell OBE then I'd very much appriciate it.
Happy to pay the subscription for the worldwide data but only once I know there is family to track there.
Thanks

Anton

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Doreen Gordon Russell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Anton, welcome to RootsChat

California Passenger
Doreen Gordon Russell, age 22, born c1906.  Sailed from Yokohama, Japan, arriving San Francisco, California on board the Shinyo Maru.
Friend's name was J H Gordon.
[Note: adding arrival date - 21 December 1928]

Doreen was born in Forest Row, Sussex.  Occupation was House Wife, which was crossed off and above was written None.  Last permanent residence was London, England.

Name directly above hers was Sidney Herbert Russell.  He was age 32 and married (as was Doreen).  Occupation was Managing Director.  He was born in London, England and last permanent address was London, England.

Name below Russell's was Mabel Edith Mary Firmager, who was age 24, single, and was a Maid Servant.  Mabel was born in Oxted, England.  Last permanent residence was London, England.

These were the only names on the page.

Under all of this, in faint writing (not sure I can read it exactly) is:
1-2-3 B.S.I. - [cannot read remainder]
Ordered Excluded & Deported? by B.S.I. - Lester M. Young, Chairman, BSI (G.O. #45)
Appeal taken
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
The three are also on a passenger list, arriving on the Fella, in San Francisco.  Image is very dark and very difficult to read.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Cannot view further details, but there is a Sidney Herbert Russell, arriving in the UK in 1937.  He was born c1896.

Offline antopark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 09 01:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Lisa, Thank you ever so much for the information. It helps fill in some of the many blanks and the dates make perfect sense, particularly those about Sidney returning to london in 1937, as I have just found out they divorced in 1936. I have no further records for her after that in the UK but being as her father was from NYC, i guess she may have stayed stateside... Maybe with her new man! Looks like those worldwide fees will be worth paying.
Thanks again
Anton

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 09 06:37 BST (UK) »
Anton, are you aware of her sister's travel from Hong Kong to Victoria, British Columbia on board the Empress of Russia?
Aurea "Mand" Strong is shown on the border crossing from Canada to U.S., on 1 March 1930.  She was 25 years old, Housewife, born Limpsfield, England.  Last permanent residence was Yokohama, Japan.  Above her name is Frances Strong, age, 27, Merchant, born Chislehurst, England.  Both are listed as married.

[I was trying to find more information about Doreen, and after finding a bit, believe that Aurea Maud was her sister.]

I cannot find Doreen Gordon's passing in America, but perhaps she didn't work (and therefore is not shown on the Social Security Death Index) or, she passed away prior to the index.

Offline antopark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I'll try following up on the sister, I am sorting my worldwide access today.
I have since found passenger lists to show that Doreen left NYC just months after arriving in SF and then is back resident in london. So that is why you didn't find her. However, I still plan to try and track down her father, George Frederick Forwood born 1880 NYC to George Peplow FORWOOD and Mary Forwood (nee. PIM).

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
It looks like Geo. P. Forwood is in the 1880 Census in New York, New York with wife Mary and children Mary and Geo.  The transcription of the census is on http://labs.familysearch.org/

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 August 09 06:08 BST (UK) »
This family went back to England, where George Frederick (your Doreen's father) married Maud Gordon in Paddington June 1904.  Did you have that?  That's where her mid-name derives from.

kidlings:

Aurea Maud b. Surrey (Godstone) Mar 1905

Doreen b. Surrey (E. Grinstead) Dec 1906

A tree on worldconnect states  http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=forwoodworld&id=I2452

supposedly 3 daughters, and is another born Godstone, Surrey Dec 1910, Nancy P. who may or may not be relevant.

Hope this is of help.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein