Author Topic: South Australia lookup please.  (Read 11108 times)

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia lookup please.
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 01 August 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
That's right Jenn - except I've just found out he is a Scottish Gentleman, not English.
I don't think he would mind. He has an Album of drawings drawn by wounded soldiers whilst in hospital during WW1 in England. Although it seems an impossible task, he would like to trace descendants of the soldiers and return the drawings to the rightful families. His story impressed me so much, I felt I wanted to help out - however, not being very good at this, I, of course, need your help - of which you have all been wonderful.
When I located his War record, I thought we were getting very close - but then came the news of his death, along with his family - and the trail went cold - maybe there is no more trail to follow....if that is the case, the artwork is in safe hands - of that I am sure.
Shakel

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 01 August 09 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
I did follow your link just then - is it an eBay site? Not sure how to use those. Thank you for the link to the Copper Coast Cemeteries - haven't seen that one before - it will help me with my other research.
Shakel

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 01 August 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
George's body was not recovered.  It is mentioned on his page on the AIF project website.  Perhaps George was a member of the local Returned Soldiers League and the information may have been available from them. Plus [from his record]Miscellaneous information from cemetery records -    Husband of Florence Gertrude NEWTWIG, William Street, Moonta, South Australia

I am also wondering if the two graves in question were unmarked for a number of years. Our very kind Kym who has photographed the Moonta Cemetery along with many other country and metropolitan cemeteries, does not have the BEAGLEHOLE names on her database of photographs she has for the Moonta Cemetery.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deadsearch/moonta.htm

Also from Kris
Unfortunately Moonta Cemetery Monuments no help

I have been to the Moonta Cemetery several times and there are many graves which only have very small markers - perhaps this is the situation here.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 August 09 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

- is it an eBay site? Not sure how to use those.

No Shakel, it is not an ebay site.
It is a site where for a small fee you may purchase a photo from the collection of Cemetery Headstone photos it contains.

http://headstones.weebly.com/index.html

Go to index>scroll to Moonta>note the entire name on the headstone ( the photo is underBEAGLEHOLE with her father)>go to purchase single photo> follow the simple instructions to buy.
Sue
ADDING
You may possibly discover something extra by contacting this person.

http://www.ausbdm.org/lookup.php?st=SA

scroll to name Mar******  Phil********

I have had very positive contact with her in the past.  :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 August 09 04:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sue,
Trust me to not know what's going on  :o
I'm still finding my way around computers and what I can and can't do!!!!
Shakel

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 05:38 BST (UK) »
Just back from the Library. George was alone. I have printed out some articles if required. (Wallaroo Times and The Peoples Weekly.

Kadina andWallaroo Times Wed June 2

TRAGEDY OF THE SEA

MOONTA FISHERMAN LOST IN STORM

Periodically the sea takes its toll of the men whom the need to earn a living forces them forces upon the sea all kinds of weather. Week days or Sundays, if conditions allow it, they venture forth in their little skiffs to earn a livlihood on the uncertain waters.

Thus on Sunday last, May 30, Mr George NEWTWIG, a married man of 49, with two children, met his sad end in the course of following his calling. He had gone out towards the South in his boat, by himself, and was last seen between what is called the "Gap" and Cape Elizabeth. The wind was strong, and from the North, and quite a number of other boats from Moonta and Sims Cove were also out. The sea, although somewhat boisterous in the morning, calmed down considerably towards late afternoon, with the wind, however, in practically the same quarter. The sky had been fairly clear until then, but a bank of dun clouds was noticed about 4.30, and these moved towards the land rapidly. Obviously, a change was coming, although the south-west is not the usual quarter for anything definite in the way of a storm. Shortly before 5 o'clock a number of fishing boats were observed coming home and passing Port Hughes, the wind by this time having already increased. Two motor boats also made haste for shelter, and it appeared as if all the boats had taken warning in time to miss the squall.

A little after 5 o'clock the wind was blowing fiercely, and the clouds looked most promising for rain. White forces topped the waves, and all cars that had made a rendezvous of the beach were well on their way home when the squall struck the land. Dense dust blew over the fallow land, and the rain followed.

It was in this squall that the unfortunate Mr Newtwig was caught, about 6 miles from Moonta, and when last seen, he had the engine working and the sails up. It is surmised that the boat was driven on some of the adjacent reefs, for nothing has been seen of it since. The assumption is that Mr Newtwig was drowned in the strong surf.

Search was begun early on Monday morning by Sergeant   Jury and a number of fishermen, but only portions of wreckage, hatches and the engine box were found south of Pt Hughes and at Mangrove Point, Warburto. Another search was made on Tuesday but without any hope of finding Mr Newtwig alive. Indeed the high sea that accompanied the squall would have prevented even the strongest swimmer of reaching safety.

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 05:49 BST (UK) »
I wont type the others out in full. One from The Peoples Weekly (early June - forgot to write the date down)

states "Mr George NEWTWIG who was a sailor before coming to Moonta years ago. He was known as Moonta's most daring fisherman, and not infrequently went out when others thought it advisable to stay ashore. He was one of the fishermen who worked alone, and set out in his cutter in the morning. All appeared to have gone well until evening. When other fishermen were returning home, Newtwig kept fishing, and told an occupant of one of the other boats that he wanted to fill his basket."

-----

His boat was last seen by Mr Fred Johnson who was returning to the jetty between the gap and Cape Elizabeth. Between 5 and 6 o'clock a south westerly squall, accompanied by rain, broke somewhat suddenly. Johnson said he had never previously experienced such heavy surf.

------

Mr NEWTWIG was a baker by trade and at one time a master baker in the town. He was 49 years of age, and a returned soldier. He married the only daughter of Mr John Beaglehole of Moonta and there are two children of the marriage.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 05:59 BST (UK) »
A mistake has been made with SA memory article we had found. 

THE PEOPLES WEEKLY July 31 1937

Moonta Bay Boating Fatality

Boat found, but no sign of the Body

this article starts with mention of the boat of Mr George NEWTWIG which sank during the blow of the 30th May last and from which date no trace of Mr Newtwig has been found. (Details of attempts to recover the boat and Sergeant Jury mentions the assistance and cooperation of the fishermen.)

This sad occurrence recalls another which occurred near the same spot on 5 June 1921 when the Ketch LILLY MAY foundered when on her way from from Pt Victoria to Wallaroo with a cargo of wheat. In this tragedy the captain of the LILLY MAY Mr Percy Anderson, his wife and son (aged 6) and Messrs L Ripley of Birkenhead and J Johannessen (address unknown) lost their lives.

George NEWTWIG'S Skiff was not named in any article I viewed.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 06:06 BST (UK) »
I did not locate a death notice for George. (perhaps as the body was not recovered) I did however find one for Florence.

NEWTWIG - On May 22 at the Moonta Hospital, Florence Gertrude, wife of the late George NEWTWIG and loving mother of Clara and Mary, and daughter of John BEAGLEHOLE.