Author Topic: WW2 POW  (Read 9387 times)

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 POW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My grandfather was RSM William Thornborough who was in stalag - 3 during WWII.  My mother had the book which spoke of him.  He was married to a Jessie Thornborough nee Slater before being missing presumed dead during wwII.  I understand he was captured at dunkirk.  After returning from the war he and my grandmother separated as she had remarried as he was presumed dead.

To my knowledge he had 3 surviving children, Barbara, Geoff and Peter.
Unfortunately there were many sad stories like yours

Your Grandfather P.S.M. Thornborough 1981723 Green Howards was a  prisoner in Stalag 383 Hohen Fels. P.O.W. No.13174
What I would do if you haven't already got it is to apply for his Service Record. You will find an application form on the Veterans Agency Web Site.
Firstly though you have to be Next Of Kin or have N.O.Ks written permission.

Good Luck
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline MBarlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 September 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for that information, although I was more interested in contacting the first post, 'Jeannie Tel' as it appears we may well be related.  It is likely my grandfather went on to remarry and have children of which I am unaware.  That being the case Jeannie and I would be half cousins...I think

My parents moved to Australia in the mid 60's and other than some work trips to the UK my exposure to extended family has been limited

My uncles kept in touch with their father over the years but never mentioned any other family.  If you are out there Jeannie please contact me.

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 March 10 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi MBarlow,
A belated warm welcome to rootschat.
If you type on Jeannie Tel,s name you will be able to send her a personnel message.
Good luck,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline mixerman41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I to am trying to get information on a WW2 POW, John Charles Watling,b 1914 & d 1969 @ South Shields. Family hearsay is he was in the TA in 1938 & volunteered 1939 & was in the Royal Artillery, & badly wounded @ Dunkirk with the BEF,captured & operated on by German Surgeon for removal of a lung & POW in Stalag 8b & repatriated to the UK in c1943-1944.As he is my late Brother in Law, i can't get permission to get his Army Records, And i don't have his Army No or POW No? Any ideas or advice how to get information on him, would be appreciated.Jeff

Offline asherp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Capt. J P Astbury (Service No. 187989)
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

If anyone has time could they check whether this officer was interviewed following his 'liberation' from POW camp in Germany. He was captured during Operation Market Garden.

Many thanks

Asher

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 March 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I to am trying to get information on a WW2 POW, John Charles Watling,b 1914 & d 1969 @ South Shields. Family hearsay is he was in the TA in 1938 & volunteered 1939 & was in the Royal Artillery, & badly wounded @ Dunkirk with the BEF,captured & operated on by German Surgeon for removal of a lung & POW in Stalag 8b & repatriated to the UK in c1943-1944.As he is my late Brother in Law, i can't get permission to get his Army Records, And i don't have his Army No or POW No? Any ideas or advice how to get information on him, would be appreciated.Jeff
Hi Jeff ,
a warm welcome to rootschat.
I typed into Google 'stalag 8b and up came several websites
one of them is

www.lamsdorf.webs.com

good luck,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline mixerman41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy, thank you for responding & i have tried the Lansdorf museum & web page you suggested, unfortunatley no luck there, As John was repatriated before the War ended, details are hard to find, but i will keep searching, Regards,Jeff

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 March 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy, thank you for responding & i have tried the Lansdorf museum & web page you suggested, unfortunatley no luck there, As John was repatriated before the War ended, details are hard to find, but i will keep searching, Regards,Jeff

I have been able to locate lists of repatriated Canadians through the Canadian newspapers of the time.

Perhaps his name appears in the UK papers of the time?

DTD

Offline mixerman41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 March 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DTD, i never thought of that connection! will check it out, Cheers,Jeff