Author Topic: COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 655 times)

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED THANKS
« on: Friday 31 July 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi im trying to find the will of Mary Garrett but have been told by Linc. archives that they dont have it. Im quite puzzled by this and the absence of other family members wills. she married John Chippingdale of blakenhall which was then sold in1635 and they moved to Washingborough/Heighington.

John died in1640 followed by Mary in 1658, she was the daughter of William Garret and was heir to her father and of another family member. I know she was part of the family that set up the Garret Charity which still exists today. Does anybody know where i can look for these wills or find some more info??? Im missing wills for a number of Chippingdales that includes John of Blackenhall, his father who was a doctor of civil law and John and Mary´s son William who were all law men who studied at Oxford..

Im trying to find missing children as John and Marys son William married felis Homersley sometime before 1635 but ive not clue where. and only 3 children have been found with bdays well after williams marriage.
Im really hoping that turning up Marys will would name some of these children, she had money to give them as she sold almost everything before she died....

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance
Laura
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Mary/Maria Garrett, washingborough and the garret charity..
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
The real question isn't "where is the will?" it's "is there a will?" For as long as there has been probate records people have died without having taken steps to ensure their estate is divided as they wish.

It's possible that although she lived in Lincs that the will (if there is one) was proved elsewhere, all my pre 1858 wills have come from the National Archives or downloaded from them via the "Documents online" service. Lincs residents have had wills proven in the Canterbury court as well as elsewhere but none in Lincolnshire.

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary/Maria Garrett, washingborough and the garret charity..
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
one of the wills definately exists but seemingly isnt where its meant to be. that will is of marias father in law, john chippingdale D.C.L. I have found 2 other wills for earlier but theyre a bit too early. im hoping to find ppl mentioned in them to prove a connection... i do understand that the others may simply not exist but considering they all graduated in law except for maria who was widowed but heir to a well off family it would seem odd. judging by other bits of info ive found there would have been money to leave etc and she had many children.  other than archive i cant think of where to look. was hoping maybe someone could point me in another direction...
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK