Author Topic: Strondow area of Knockando (Cally McDonalds)  (Read 3619 times)

Offline malc51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strondow area of Knockando (Cally McDonalds)
« on: Friday 31 July 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
We are trying to trace information on the area of Anarget & Strondow in the late 1700's early 1800's.  We have found old maps which show the Strondow settlements closer to the burn than where they are shown now on the latest OS maps. We think that the Strondow settlement was affected by the 1829 floods.

Trying to trace a Donald McDonald and Elizabeth/Elspet Gordon who we know were in this area at that time.  Unfortunately we have been unable to get any dates for them.

We know that Donald's family who lived in Dallas from 1833 were referred to as the 'Cally McDonald's' from Knockando.
We have also been told that the Allt Arder Burn (Knockando) was known as the Cally burn and think maybe this is where there name has been taken from.

Has anybody any other information please?

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Strondow area of Knockando (Cally McDonalds)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 09 01:02 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the files held in the NAS on Knockando?

eg      Booklets giving the names of every family in Knockando 1835 ref CH2/1509/8

There are a number of OPR transcripts including witnesses and families who lived at Strondow:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sooty/blackinveravonknockando.htm

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 09 22:05 BST (UK) »
The cottage beside the bridge over the Allt Arder (Allt means 'burn' so saying 'Allt Arder Burn' is tautological) is (or was) called Cally Cottage, which seems to support your hypothesis.

As for the 1829 floods, I suggest you have a look at 'The Great Moray Floods of 1829' by Sir Thomas Dick Lauder, who compiled information about all the places affected by the Great Flood. I do have a copy, but I am not at home just now and I don't take my library on holiday with me :)

The book might be online somewhere - a lot of old books have been digitised and made available online.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline malc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

We have read the Dick Lauder book and thats what made us think the floods were the reason they moved on, It is suprising when you visit the area to think that a small burn could swell and do so much damage.

We have extensively researched the knockando area history but unfortunately a fire destroyed the parish records in 1783 so there are no records before this date.

We posted this site in the hope somebody may have a family bible or information, bit of a long shot really

The Cally cottage is next to the Cally bridge so it is understandable why the locals know it as the Cally burn.

Thanks again for your interrest

M&M