Author Topic: Blakeburn Pit Disaster 13.8.1930 British Columbia  (Read 15111 times)

Offline SWADE

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blakeburn Pit Disaster 13.8.1930 British Columbia
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 14:37 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather died in the Blakeburn mine as well.  His name was Donald McDonald.  My mother was only two years old when he died, her older brother Donald (named for his father) was 12.  He now resides in Vancouver.  My mother lives in Seattle WA are now.

Hey, our grandfather's probably knew each other.  That's pretty cool!

Offline tramline

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:03 GMT (UK) »
For family or otherwise general histories from Blakeburn B.C. contact Terry Malanchuk at terry {at} blakeburn-forgottenghosttown.ca. The Blakeburn Project is a privately funded opporation created to document and preserve the history of this community. The Project is opporated with the full support of the Princeton Museum and Archives and the Princeton Town Council. Minor requests are free of charge, larger projects such as expansive family histories are negotiable depending on volume of materials to be printed. Also , check out the web-site at www.Blakeburn-forgottenghosttown.ca

Offline roberto marshallo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 April 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
hi, my  great grandfather was called matthew marshall and died in the mine explosion at blakeburn,my great grandmother returned to scotland where i live,would be grateful of any info from anyone still living in this area as i plan to come to bc to see place for myself in the near future,,many thanks

Offline tamaralee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 December 10 07:29 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about the Blakeburn mines, my great grandfather was the medic there; Or so I am told.. we know next to nothing...any help would be appreciated.

Jack Cartwright..
my grandfather was
William James Cartwright; Died in Oliver British Columbia Canada, in 2004. I can find next to nothing on information about my grandfathers family. He is no longer with us and I am sure if he was he still wouldn't talk.:)

Offline Gord235

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 June 11 05:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't have any in formation to add but my grandfather William C. Stone was called in to helpwith the recovery along with mine safety people from all over the province. At the time he was working as the safety captain at the coal mine in Middlesborough which was located just at the spot where you pass the sawmill on the way to the Merritt Mountain Music Festival.I remember my grandmother saying he was gone for quite a while(something like six weeks or so.) and when he returned he wasn't the same. She said it took him quite a while to get over it. This was back in the day when men were supposed to bury their emotions I suppose.

Gord Stone,
MAPLE Ridge, B.C.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Darren Bradbury

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hello all, this an old thread I know but feel compelled to comment. Over the past year I have been piecing together my family tree and one Great Uncle was being stubborn. I finally found a Death Certificate that lead me to Blakeburn. My great uncle Josiah Bradbury was one of the men killed in the 1930 disaster. His body was the second recovered I think, some 1500-2000 feet down the shaft, over come by Afterdamp. His father arrived in the US from England as a young boy in the 1850's and worked the coal mines in the Chicago area where Josiah ( among others ) was born. Between 1880-1891 the whole family moved to Naniamo to work the coal mines there. Most of the family ( mom Dad & 16 of the kids) moved to Vancouver about 1910 where Josiah's trail went cold. He was the only one that stayed in the coal mines.
My Brother and I are planning to visit the area this summer.
Cheers, hope you enjoy the read!
Darren

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren,
 I can add a wee bit of info as I happen to have copies of death records from Princeton Funeral home.
   Josiah Bradbury is listed as: Born March 8 1882 in Illinois,USA.
   Killed ...Aug 13 1930 ..Blakeburn,BC
   Buried...Princeton, BC

Hope it is a wee bit more than you already had, as I looked on the BC Archives site and he was listed  but not birth date or place.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Kuzcokayla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 April 19 04:49 BST (UK) »
hi, my  great grandfather was called matthew marshall and died in the mine explosion at blakeburn,my great grandmother returned to scotland where i live,would be grateful of any info from anyone still living in this area as i plan to come to bc to see place for myself in the near future,,many thanks

Matthew Marshall was my great uncle. If there is any chance you see this please contact me here