Author Topic: Beginner to finding irish roots  (Read 3168 times)

Offline andreafrost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beginner to finding irish roots
« on: Saturday 01 August 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful for any information on how to trace my ancesters who originally came from Dungarvan.  My Great grandfather was Patrick Shanahan and was born in 1841 he married an Elizabeth not sure of maiden name.  I know this is very sketchy but thats all the info i have - can anyone help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner to finding irish roots
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Irish research is just like any other- working through available records step by step to find the information you are looking for and filling in the blanks of your family tree.
To start with, civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Patrick Shanahan. Civil registration of Catholic marriages also began in 1864 from 1845 for other marriages) so if he was married after those dates you will be able to order the marriage certificate. Index to civil registrations is online (free) but usually you need to cross- reference bride and groom information to be sure of ordering the correct certificate.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Did they have any children in Ireland? Some, not all, Irish births 1864-c1882 are online (free) at www.familysearch.org and this should give mother's (Elizabeth) maiden name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline andreafrost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply - the family search site you gave me is great and I will use that more in the future.  Unfortunately both Patrick and Elizabeth were in Cardiff by 1861 and no children were born in Ireland.  I'm not sure whether they were married in Cardiff or Ireland -  think I may have to order a birth certificate of one of the children to help me along the way with Elizabeth's maiden name.
Cheers for the suggestions.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
If they were in Cardiff but 1861 you can track the family through census records every 10 years if you haven't done so already and you should be able to get Elizabeth's maiden name from a child's birth certificate.
If you get any more clues post them here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline andreafrost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 09 11:22 BST (UK) »
They were in Cardiff on the 1861 Census - I will order a birth certificate and hopefully move forward that way.

Cheers again for the help