Author Topic: Fords- Fishmongers in Shadwell  (Read 5411 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Fords- Fishmongers in Shadwell
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 July 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi have found, not sure if you have:

1901 RG13/316/37 72 High Street Shadwell

John Ford 47 Wid Fishmonger employer
Peter 15 Assistant to father
Eliza 13 attending school  all born Shadwell.

291/13 (Bethnal Green)  there is a Louisa Ford 14 parents William & Caroline William is a book binder. Could be your death?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Petsules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

A friend posted a request for me last year about John Ford. There was plenty of helpful stuff posted about his wife Sarah Collision but nothing about John. I am still no nearer finding him so would appreciate some extra brainpower!
Both John and his father William were fishmongers (from John's marriage certificate) and John lived in 1881 in Middle Shadwell/ High street Shadwell later
John lived at 35 Turners Road (Bow I think) at the time of his marriage and 17 St Dunstans Place at the time of his son’s birth (1873)

John was born about 1853 (aged 18 on his December 1871 marriage certificate) in Shadwell (according to the 1881 census)

He and Sarah went on to have the following children

Sarah Ann  b1871       
John b 1873
Harry b 1875
William b 1877
Alfred b 1879
Samuel b 1881
Charles b 1884
Peter b 1886
Eliz b 1888
Hannah b 1890

I cant find a John Ford with a father William in the 1871 or 1861 census of the rightish age and with any occupation that might resemble a fishmonger. I have found an Elizabeth Ford with a son William living next door to a fish Dealer in 1881 but that’s all. William could have course been deceased even though there is no indication of this on the marriage Cert.

Shadwell seems to be a heaving heap of humanity at that time and I wonder if it was almost impossible to do a proper census!  Does anyone know if there are bits of the Shadwell census missing from Ancestry. I have been through the entire Middle Shadwell area page by page but cannot find anyone who matches at all convincingly

Anyone with any ideas about census leads/ fishmongers/ general info about Shadwell pleeeese.

Oh how I wish he had an unusual name!

Here hoping  ???

Linda

Offline Petsules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

A friend posted a request for me last year about John Ford. There was plenty of helpful stuff posted about his wife Sarah Collision but nothing about John. I am still no nearer finding him so would appreciate some extra brainpower!
Both John and his father William were fishmongers (from John's marriage certificate) and John lived in 1881 in Middle Shadwell/ High street Shadwell later
John lived at 35 Turners Road (Bow I think) at the time of his marriage and 17 St Dunstans Place at the time of his son’s birth (1873)

John was born about 1853 (aged 18 on his December 1871 marriage certificate) in Shadwell (according to the 1881 census)

He and Sarah went on to have the following children

Sarah Ann  b1871       
John b 1873
Harry b 1875
William b 1877
Alfred b 1879
Samuel b 1881
Charles b 1884
Peter b 1886
Eliz b 1888
Hannah b 1890

I cant find a John Ford with a father William in the 1871 or 1861 census of the rightish age and with any occupation that might resemble a fishmonger. I have found an Elizabeth Ford with a son William living next door to a fish Dealer in 1881 but that’s all. William could have course been deceased even though there is no indication of this on the marriage Cert.

Shadwell seems to be a heaving heap of humanity at that time and I wonder if it was almost impossible to do a proper census!  Does anyone know if there are bits of the Shadwell census missing from Ancestry. I have been through the entire Middle Shadwell area page by page but cannot find anyone who matches at all convincingly

Anyone with any ideas about census leads/ fishmongers/ general info about Shadwell pleeeese.

Oh how I wish he had an unusual name!

Here hoping  ???

Linda

Offline Petsules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Alfred Ford born 1859 fishmonger of 114 High Street, Shadwell, Stepney is the great grandfather of my husband.

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 August 09 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi "Petsules"

The  info you posted really is tantalizing! My John and Sarah Ford were at 114 in 1891! Can you give me any more details and sources. Does he appear in any of the censuses? It sounds like he could be brother or cousin of my John (1853). Have sent you a private mail so you reply via that if you wish.

Very much looking forward to your reply

Linda Lytollis
Barnard, Ford, Pett, Moore, Holden, Collison, Kingshott, Lytollis, Kinghorn, Walker, Lightoller, Lightowler.

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 August 09 06:37 BST (UK) »
Alfred Ford born 1859 fishmonger of 114 High Street, Shadwell, Stepney is the great grandfather of my husband.

Hi Jennifer,

I had found the info about John Peter and Eliza. The other family don’t seem to be connected but I’ll keep them in the pot just in case! Louisa was John's (1853)daughter, it seems by a second marriage/relationship and was born about 1902. The death I found should have been 1916 (1c 562) –typist finger struck again-aged 15 so this may be a match.

Out of John and Sarah’s children who were there on the 1891 census I am unable the ones highlighted  in 1901-very strange

HARRY FORD, b. 1875.
WILLIAM FORD, b. 1877, Ratcliff; d. 1888, Stepney. (Stepney  1c 268)
ALFRED FORD, b. 1879, Ratcliff.
SAMUEL FORD, b. 1881, Shadwell. (Birth June 1881, Stepney  1c 418)
CHARLES FORD, b. 1884, Shadwell.
PETER FORD, b. 1885, Shadwell.
ELIZA FORD, b. 1888, Shadwell;
HANNAH FORD, b. 1891, Shadwell.

….And of course John Ford, his wife Caroline and family

There doesn’t seem to be any deaths between 1891 and 1901that match either……

Thanks for your interest

Linda
Barnard, Ford, Pett, Moore, Holden, Collison, Kingshott, Lytollis, Kinghorn, Walker, Lightoller, Lightowler.

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 August 09 06:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jennifer-wrong quote! Try again

291/13 (Bethnal Green)  there is a Louisa Ford 14 parents William & Caroline William is a book binder. Could be your death?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I had found the info about John Peter and Eliza. The other family don’t seem to be connected but I’ll keep them in the pot just in case! Loisa was Johns daughter it seems by a second marriage/relationship and was born about 1902. The death I found should have been 1916 (1c 562) –typist finger struck again-aged 15 so this may be a match.

Out of John and Sarah’s children who were there on the 1891 census I am unable the ones highlighted  in 1901-very strange

HARRY FORD, b. 1875.

Thanks for your interest

Linda

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 August 09 06:49 BST (UK) »

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I had found the info about John Peter and Eliza. The other family don’t seem to be connected but I’ll keep them in the pot just in case! Loisa was Johns daughter it seems by a second marriage/relationship and was born about 1902. The death I found should have been 1916 (1c 562) –typist finger struck again-aged 15 so this may be a match.

HARRY FORD, b. 1875.

Thanks for your interest

Linda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Singleton males are always difficult to find on censuses (they are the largest group missing on modern day censuses). There was a war on at the time of 1901 which would also mean that men were missing from the census having volunteered to fight in South Africa. There seem to be at least two Samuel Fords of about the right age in London including one in Poplar on the 1911 census whose birthplace is Shadwell. There are a lot more Charles Fords so that is much more difficult to spot from the 1911 census index and none it would seem with a birthplace in Shadwell.

'Hannah Ford' on the 1891 census is Harriet

Births Jun 1891 
FORD  Harriet     Stepney  1c 416
either
Deaths Sep 1891 
Ford  Harriet  0  Stepney  1c 260   
or
Deaths Dec 1891 
FORD  Harriet  0  Stepney  1c 312

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk