Author Topic: Hugh Morris ( Boycott) b1905 Weston Rhyn  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Kate Annie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Morris ( Boycott) b1905 Weston Rhyn
« on: Saturday 01 August 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I have a puzzle. In 1911 my great grandfather James Boycott and his family have a Hugh Morris Boycott living with them and named as their son. They aare living in Chilton in County Durham having moved there from Weston Rhyn in about 1911. I have since found that the child was born Hugh Morris in 1905 to a Hugh and Hannah Morris ( nee Lewis). I think Hannah died just after Hugh junior was born but Hugh senior was still with their other two children in Weston Rhyn in 1911. I have no clues as to why my Boycott family should have taken in the youngest Morris child. Hugh junior married as Hugh Morris and his death notice recorded him as Hugh Morris (Boycott).
If anyone has any connections to the Morrises or has any thoughts about how I might proceed I'd be really grateful.
Kate Annie
Murphy, Boycott,O'Neill,Moore -Durham/ Shropshire/Ireland/Scotland.
Phillips,Parry-Shropshire/Denbighshire.
Ramage,Sedgewick-Durham/Yorkshire.
O'Rourke,Brannon,Kilbride- Ireland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Morris ( Boycott) b1905 Weston Rhyn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a death registration for a Hannah Morris:

June q, 1905, Oswestry v 6a p 430

(Weston Rhyn/St Martins were part of the Oswestry RD)

Have you checked the Morris family on the 1901, also marriages for both couples.  The Boycotts could be family or neighbours.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
Oh dear

A birth reg for Hugh Morris - June q, 1905, Oswestry v 6a p 698 (also one in Dec q but I think that is someone else given the death reg)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
It wasn't that unusual for a new born baby to be taken in by a family member, close friend or neighbour if the mother had died.

I think this is the investigative line that you should take.  What was Hannah's maiden name, who were the Boycotts relatives, who did they live close to in 1901, etc. ?

Gadget

Offline Kate Annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thanks for the replies.
Hannah's name was Lewis before she married. I can't find any obvious links with my Boycott family.I have also looked at the censuses but will look in more detail. There was an Elizabeth Morris ( widow)living next to my great grandparents in 1901 but I'm not sure is she is linked to the other Morrises.
Kate Annie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate Annie

I see on the 1901 that Hugn and Hannah's older children were called Charles and Elizabeth and Hugh was born Trefonen.

I'm sure that there is a link with the Elizabeth Morris or Hugh and James were workmates . I'll try and work through the censuses to see what I can find.  I'm starting to do an investigation of coal miners movements' between the North Wales coalfield (including St Martins) and the Durham coalfield. Some of my ancestors relatives did the same.

I note that Hugh senior had married fairly soon after Hannah died so maybe Annie wasn't prepared to look after the new born baby  :-\

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
In 1871, Hugh Morris is in Trefonen with his parents, Edward and Elizabeth:

RG10/2781/13/19

I'm not sure if it's the same Elizabeth although there are some matching features. The 1901 one was 72 and b. Meifod (which is Montgomeryshire). The 1871 one was 45 and b. Montgomeryshire.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
I think it is  :D

In 1881, Hugh and mother Elizabeth are in Weston Rhyn:

RG11/2660/39/6

Elizabeth is aged 56, widow, b. Meifod, Montgomeryshire

and with them is Thomas, aged 6, b. St Martins - he is still with his mother on the 1901 one that you referred to.

So it looks as if the Boycott's were neighbours of Hugh Morris's mother and took Hugh's son when Hannah died.

Gadget

Offline Kate Annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thank's to your encouragement I had another look at the census as well. The Elizabeth Morris and son Thomas whoa re next to the Bycotts ( Boycotts) in 1901 are there in 1891 census together with Hugh Morris. The ages for both sons tie up although as usal the birth places never seem to be the same from one census to the other. So I think you were right that James and Mary took Hugh in. Hannah must have died when she gave birth to him or just after. You mention that Hugh married again. How do you know that? I tracked him and his two children Charlie and Lizzie in the 1911 census. ( just working it through - not paying to view!) I will go back and check if there is an Annie.
My Boycotts all moved to Chilton County Durham and were miners. The other side of my family - the Murphy's were also miners who moved from Ireland through Scotland to the North East. More difficult to find anythong about them though!!.
Thank you for your help
Kate Annie