Author Topic: oldknow nottingham militia  (Read 3800 times)

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
oldknow nottingham militia
« on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
I have just come across maybe a small chink in a brick wall.On all census my 3GG shows that he was born in Scotland I always thought that this meant that his parents did to.I have now discovered a James Oldknow a member of the Nottingham Militia marrying Margaret Dun in Glasgow in 1800,they seem to have had at least 4 children,Margaret born in Kircudbright in 1800, John 1802 Glasgow, William 1804 Glasgow and another Margaret 1807 Dumfries,Margaret 2 only father's name is given.
Oldknow does not appear to be a Scottish name but there are families in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire,and since James was a corporal in the Nottingham militia I would guess he may have come from this area.
What was the Nottingham Militia doing in Scotland,were they regular troops and are there any records about them.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: oldknow nottingham militia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
G Eli; Till someone else comes along with more information for ye ..... The best I can offer is that one of mine was in the Wiltshire Militia. I found that out by looking at his Service Records, from his time in the Royal Marine Light Infantry. And those records were dug out of the National Archives.

As I recall, it only really said that he was signed out of the WM so that he could enlist with the RMLI. But the release paper did record when he'd joined the WM.  Now, I don't for a moment imagine you might find ye man there doing the same sort of thing. I'm just wondering if the NA also keep records of the Militias?

Bottom line, for now then, is; National Archives?
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Paul Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Liz

Discovered a similar chink a couple of months ago. My 4 x great grandfather Thomas was born in Jedburgh in approx 1810 yet he lived for most of his life in Nottinghamshire having alledgedly walked it south to find work. The 1841 and 1851 Scottish Census shows that his father Francis was born in England but it does not identify the town unfortunately. I had a suspicion (too complicated to try to explain here) that Francis was born in the very town that Thomas lived and died in but with no concrete evidence. When I found a marriage for Francis in Kelso in 1802 that confirmed that he was in the Nottinghanshire Militia I was delighted.

Spoke to a very nice (Scottish) gent at the Sherwood Foresters Archive, he confirmed that they were in Scotland awaiting a possible invasion. They marched from Glasgow to Kelso in 1802 and were ordered back to England when the threat diminished in March 1803. It would seem that our ancestors stayed behind to raise families.

Need to do some more research over the winter, the Militia connection it could help me solve the mystery.

Regards.

Paul

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve and Paul, I now have other avenues to explore.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline Arcticbeth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 December 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
I was so pleased to at last find someone researching the Revel family. I doubt if I have any more information than you have already unearthed, but from the family bible I have all dates of birth and most deaths for the children of Francis Revel (1779 - 1853) / Elizabeth Hunter (1781-1856). I was interested in your information about Francis' place of birth. Since all the children were born in the Scottish borders he must have been there between 1803 and 1822. There 3rd son William was born in Jedburgh in 1806 and married Mary Hunt from Nottinghamshire. Clearly a Nottingham connection.
I'd love to know more about Francis who is my 3 x great grandfather - like you that was where the trail ran cold.
Regards
Helen

Offline Paul Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Helen

Many apologies for not replying before, truth is I have been having a rest form research, new laptop now and looking again.

Great to make contact with another person descended from Francis, that makes three in total but are you the first from Scotland? the other 2 are from South Africa and Australia.

Interested to note a couple of items from your message, firstly you have a date of death for Francis (1853) and the fact that the wife of William, Mary Hunt was from Nottinghamshire, was this info from the family bible?

I have sent you a private message, would love to hear from you.

Paul