Author Topic: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's  (Read 74395 times)

Offline pamela1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 12 February 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Interesting thread about Portsmouth.  I have lived here since about the age of 5 so know a bit lol

The Pub in Cosham could well have been the Red Lion ... still there and is the largest Pub in Cosham

Regards.

I think I have Photos somewhere

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 12 February 11 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Pamela; I did a few years there myself  ;)

No. It's not the Red Lion ~ now ye mention it; I don't believe I have a half decent shot of that place. Have ye got a digital camera ....? Be good to add one to my files  :)

No. This damned infernal pub that's so bugging me: I think it might be down that road " The Rocket " is on the corner of. Knowlesley Rd is stuck in my head. I remember it's in that very close region.

South East side of the High St. Over towards Drayton. Pub stands on a corner, set back, to the south east, into its own parking tarmac. Big, red brick place.

Beam me over there and I could take ye pretty much straight to it. Just a swine to try and remember from so long ago  :-\
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 13 February 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Try putting 'Pubs in Portsmouth' in your search engine; loads come up, you might be lucky.

Anna

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 13 February 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, AnnaS. There's actually an entire site out there ~ very good one too ~ completely dedicated to Pompey Pubs. Past and present.

And there in lies the bug bear; Have ye any Idea how many pub's Pompey has known? Must be Thousands of them  :o

So, with my pathetically slow 'connection', searching for my needle in that haystack becomes a bit of a non starter  :-\

I think, like " Rosebud ", my dying words will be, " That bloody pub ....! "  ;D

Offline Kim1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if you had any pictures of the Brickwood's Brewery that was on Queen St or pics of Queen St itself. I've found a few pics of Queen St on the web but alas, none of the brewery. I live on what is now the brewery so would dearly love some pics.

Regards, Kim  :)
Lavender (Ruislip, Mitcham), Abrehart (Edmonton, Mitcham), Smith (Edmonton, Enfield, Mitcham), Flook & Monks (Lambeth, Bristol), Radlett (Stepney, Southwark, Somerset), Bray (Rotherhithe), Chambers (Oaksey, Sapperton), Davis (Oaksey, Kemble)

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:12 GMT (UK) »
We have just come back from visiting B & Q in Fratton, and there are still loads of pubs in Portsmouth and its environs.  'The Good Companion' just outside the football ground at the end of Eastern Road, is still there.  It has been there yonks.  It was certainly there when I went to football matches with my dad in the 50's.

Anna

Offline Kim1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Oh and that pub you were thinking of isn't The Salisbury is it? Large red brick pub set back from the junction where Knowlesly, Lonsdale and Salisbury Roads meet.  :)
Lavender (Ruislip, Mitcham), Abrehart (Edmonton, Mitcham), Smith (Edmonton, Enfield, Mitcham), Flook & Monks (Lambeth, Bristol), Radlett (Stepney, Southwark, Somerset), Bray (Rotherhithe), Chambers (Oaksey, Sapperton), Davis (Oaksey, Kemble)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Kim; I've got the top end of Queen St (as far as I remember) but, I believe it's facing the wrong way for the brewery.

Tell ye what; Google that 'Portsmouth Pubs' site and ask that chap. He might have a shot of it. Pretty much bound to have the pub that fronted it.

If not, get back to me about it and I'll put ye onto one or two other Local Historians <--- Just to clarify; I'm neither a Historian, nor am I very local any more. Didn't want to give the impression I considered myself worthy of that title. I'm just a bloke who bought a CD of photo's off the Bay  ;)

:o :o :o Oh, Kim; I Love Ye!!!  Just seen ye other post! That's the place!  ;D God almighty; Put a gun to my head and I'd never in a hundred years have come up with the Salisbury! 

Thankyou! I'll sleep better tonight  ;D

Offline Kim1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha ha ha glad to help!!

;D