Author Topic: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's  (Read 74374 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's
« Reply #162 on: Thursday 04 November 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Ravenseft, this thread alerts me to new posts. When I don't reply it'll likely mean I'm dead.

Unfortunately, random streets I consider the 'Crocodile Dundee Question'. Like when he greets a random stranger in New York. " G'day! My name's Mick. Maybe I'll see ye around? "

Unfortunately, there was no google maps, back then. No one ever thought to take photographs of random streets. There had to be some feature they considered of interest. Or it was just a main thoroughfare. Potential postcard material, I guess?

Remember; Back in the day, taking a single photo could just about add up to a days worth of time and pay. No duck lips then.

Burge / Somerset? Soon as I saw Somerset I knew she'd be one of the 'Posh Burge's'. Somerset Burges tended to have names like Emilia. And  pa pa was a magistrate.

No idea where Copper St was. So I searched it. Hells teeth! Just Look at that location, on google maps today. It's smack in the centre of what would have been the extreme stockbroker belt. Properties, round that way, were towering, three or four floor monoliths. Full of silverware and servants.

Wonder if Ann and Edward ate with the silver, of polished it?
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')