Author Topic: Dublin 1865 - 1886 ish  (Read 1352 times)

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dublin 1865 - 1886 ish
« on: Monday 03 August 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
I have a James MIHILL who was a Sapper Royal Engineers in Dublin from about 1865 when he married his wife Emma Zumach in Dublin until around 1881 when Emma remarried. I am unable to find out what happened to James MIHILL and have even searched some of the Royal Engineers documents at Kew.  Is ther any other way I could find out? I know nothing about him other than his father was also James MHILL a painter.

Emma's second husband was George WOODWARD my Great grandfather. George was given as a 'Baker in CTC' or possibly CJC.    His father was also George, a limeburner. The marriage was in Dublin but again I have no other knowledge of him.  The family moved to Birmingham around 1886 and a daughter, my Grandmother, was born in 1887 by which time George seems to have disappeared never to be seen again!

Any ideas how I can take this further. I am unable at present to go to Dublin.
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Dorset:  Fudge, Roberts,Trowbridge,
Montgomeryshire: Evans
Norfolk: Bond, Everard, Riches,
Somerset:Clothier, Hockey, Jenkins, Shire
Ireland:Mihill, Woodward, Zumach
Scotland:Lewis
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin 1865 - 1886 ish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello

There is a death of a James Mihill registered in Southampton 2nd quarter 1880 aged 40.

I'm assuming you are aware of this site but including it anyway in case.

regards

David

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  For some reason we discounted it but I can't remember why.  Maybe I should just get the cert and check properly.  (I do this side with a cousin)
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 09 09:53 BST (UK) »
Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864. You don't have to go to Dublin, as you can print off a form - http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm -  and post/fax it with your credit card details. The Irish GRO will do a certain amount of searching if you do not know the dates. And names like Zumach should present no problems.

It only cost 4 euros if you have them on plain paper.

If you think that David has found Mihill's death you should order that certificate to give you his occupation. How you proceed with the military angle depends upon if he was still serving when he died.

Ken

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I have just applied online for the Southampton Cert.
I already have ALL the ZUMACH certs that Dublin GRO can find :) There are not many!! I have spent countless hours on the phone to the Irish GRO and they have always  been most helpfull.

James MIHILL's occupation on his kids birth certs  etc were :
1865 Private R(oyal) E(ngineers)
1866  Corps of R E
1870  Corps of Sappers and Miners
1873 Corporal  R E
1875 Corps of R E

In 1899 when his widow Emma died he was said to  be Sergeant R E. (She didn't use her second married name of Woodward for some reason)

What we would like to know was what happened to James Mihill and where did he come from in the first place and basically the same for George Woodward.  Also what was the CTC? It was suggested somehere it was the Curragh Training Camp. Would that be correct??

The Zumachs are a whole other ball game and 12 years of research later we still don't know much about them!

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 August 09 10:11 BST (UK) »
How you proceed with the military angle depends upon if he was still serving when he died.

Ken

I presume he was as Emma remained in Dublin until 5 years later.  I searched all the discharge papers for the REs for that period at Kew about 6 years ago and he wasn't amongst them.

Anyway the cert I have just ordered should tell me (if it was for him).

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 August 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, I have all those certs referred to.

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 09 10:59 BST (UK) »
I have now received the cert from Southampton and it is not my James Mihill.

back to the drawing board I suppose.