Author Topic: Harriot Avery lookup please in Kent  (Read 4739 times)

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harriot Avery lookup please in Kent
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 04:08 BST (UK) »
The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847

So  Harriott and husband Edward died in 1847 as well as Walter. :o

It would have been hepful if this information had been posted earlier.

As we can find no marriage , you will never know for certain which of the baptism are correct. :(

Are there any family descendants names that you recognise.  ??? Thomas or Ann or James , that might be  clue.   :-\

As your g. grandfather was only 7 and William 3 when both thier parents died personally I would be very sceptical about her exact birth date in the bible.

There are a lot of William and Edwards,David,James, Walters in our tree. Another puzzle is what happened to the 2 remaining children(William and Edward) after their parents died,as they did not migrate until 1855 to Australia to go to grandparents William and Sally Manser originally from Sussex. I have not found them on any census.
Barbara

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 04:13 BST (UK) »
The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847

So  Harriott and husband Edward died in 1847 as well as Walter. :o

It would have been hepful if this information had been posted earlier.

As we can find no marriage , you will never know for certain which of the baptism are correct. :(

Are there any family descendants names that you recognise.  ??? Thomas or Ann or James , that might be  clue.   :-\

As your g. grandfather was only 7 and William 3 when both thier parents died personally I would be very sceptical about her exact birth date in the bible.

It is unusual that Walter's birth and death date are correct, and also William and Edward,also Edward the father hand wrote the date of Harriotts death  and that she was 29yrs years and 10mths died in Bromley she died Mar 15 1847.
Barbara
:forgot going by what my ggrandfather wrote Harriott would have been born in May 1818 if she was 29yrs and 10mths yrs
Barbara

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 07:58 BST (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriage Index, which covers Tenterden, is a good place to look at the distribution of surnames.

http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php

Have you looked to see if the admission register for Tenterden Workhouse has survived?
I just had a quick look at the Mid Kent marriages a lot of Manser's and Harriet Avery's but dates are wrong.I thought maybe Edward may have been born by a different surname, I have got the record of the Tenterden workhouse census on Ancestry. I don't know how to go about finding out if there is a admission record.

Barbara

If Tenterden Workhouse records have survived they will at The Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone.

http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/archives-and-local-history/archive-centres/centre-for-kentish-studies.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 August 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriage Index, which covers Tenterden, is a good place to look at the distribution of surnames.

http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php

Have you looked to see if the admission register for Tenterden Workhouse has survived?
I just had a quick look at the Mid Kent marriages a lot of Manser's and Harriet Avery's but dates are wrong.I thought maybe Edward may have been born by a different surname, I have got the record of the Tenterden workhouse census on Ancestry. I don't know how to go about finding out if there is a admission record.

Barbara

If Tenterden Workhouse records have survived they will at The Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone.

http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/archives-and-local-history/archive-centres/centre-for-kentish-studies.htm
I have tried that site, and it is unavailable the online services. I  find it hard on  how to go about finding things also, seeing as I am in Australia I can't go there. Barbara

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 August 09 11:20 BST (UK) »
It is only the online booking service and research request which have been suspended.

This link takes you straight to the Centre for Kentish Studies catalogue search page

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04fe/

You can still send them an email asking what records have survived and the cost of doing a search.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 August 09 05:48 BST (UK) »
It is only the online booking service and research request which have been suspended.

This link takes you straight to the Centre for Kentish Studies catalogue search page

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04fe/

You can still send them an email asking what records have survived and the cost of doing a search.

Thanks for that Bearkat, I will send them a email, and thankyou everyone for your help.

Barbara

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

You mention somewhere that Henry HIDER/HYDER was a cousin or uncle to the children of Edward MANSER and Harriett AVERY.

Here is the HIDER family in the 1851 census:

1851 - Berwick Village, Berwick, Sussex

John HIDER head mar 39 ag lab b.Berwick Sussex
Elizabeth wife 35 b.not known
Henry son 6 b.Berwick Sussex
Elizabeth mother widow 75 b.Berwick Sussex

HO107/1643 folio 684 page 7

Was Henry related to the MANSER or AVERY side?  Was it Henry's mother or father who was the relative?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 August 09 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

You mention somewhere that Henry HIDER/HYDER was a cousin or uncle to the children of Edward MANSER and Harriett AVERY.

Was Henry related to the MANSER or AVERY side?  Was it Henry's mother or father who was the relative?

Hi Casalguidi
Henry was related to the Manser side of the family through a earlier William Manser who married a Elizabeth Hider or Hyder in Sussex England. I have not verified this family as yet, as  this is family rumour, I believe they got married in Rotherfield Sussex.
 I will go back through my paper work to see if this same
record you have above is our Henry as I have a record for his family aboard the Oriental  1855 with Edward and William when they migrated after Edward and Harriot died. Thanks
Barbara

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 August 09 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Hi Casalguidi
Henry was related to the Manser side of the family through a earlier William Manser who married a Elizabeth Hider or Hyder in Sussex England. I have not verified this family as yet, as  this is family rumour, I believe they got married in Rotherfield Sussex.
 I will go back through my paper work to see if this same
record you have above is our Henry as I have a record for his family aboard the Oriental  1855 with Edward and William when they migrated after Edward and Harriot died. Thanks
Barbara

Re Record for John Hyder and Elizabeth and Henry, They are the same family that were on the Oriental with Edward and William,I have just gone back over my paper work. I have to find out now was she a sister or wife to the earlier William Manser. This info might help me get to Edward and Harriot. Thankyou so much Casalguidi
Barbara