Author Topic: Harriot Avery lookup please in Kent  (Read 4743 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Harriot Avery lookup please in Kent
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
I see that Harriott died in 1847. I cant seem to find Edward in 1851  :(

Walter only survived a few months.

BMD birth index Walter Manser Sept. 1846 Bromley. 5 - 49

BMD death index Walter Manser Dec q. 1846 Bromley  5 - 33

I think the Tenderton Workhouse couple are correct and I see they appear to have a 1year old son Edward with them.  HO107/476/3/37/3

There is a birth record of a male Manser March q. 1840 East Ashford 5 - 8 :-\

this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
As Harriot is down as 15 in 1841 that means she would in fact be between the ages of 15 to 19.

I think she would have to be at least 18 or 19 to have had a child which narrows her birthdate down to  1821 or 1822 so I think that the baptism I found earlier could be correct  :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 06:01 BST (UK) »
I see that Harriott died in 1847. I cant seem to find Edward in 1851  :(

Walter only survived a few months.

BMD birth index Walter Manser Sept. 1846 Bromley. 5 - 49

BMD death index Walter Manser Dec q. 1846 Bromley  5 - 33

I think the Tenderton Workhouse couple are correct and I see they appear to have a 1year old son Edward with them.  HO107/476/3/37/3

There is a birth record of a male Manser March q. 1840 East Ashford 5 - 8 :-\

The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847 and the other Edward is my ggrandfather born 25Sep 1840 who was in the workhouse with them. There is another son William born 10 Jul 1844 aslso.

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 06:08 BST (UK) »
A transcription of Staplehurst records ia available online.  :D

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~staplehurst/index.htm

In addition to the baptism record for the Harriet AVERY that Patrish found there is another baptised 6 July 1823 but she was born 31 January 1816 - parents James & Ann (could she be yours ??? - dob not quite right)

The is another baptism for Harriet AVERY daughter of John & Elizabeth 4 December 1831 which is too late to be yours.

I cannot see a marriage for any Hannah AVERY in Staplehurst to eliminate them, nor are there any burials  ???

I have seen the one before for 1816 in Staplehurst, I don't know if this is her,we have her name spelt as Harriott in the family bible.. I dont think the one in Dec 1831 is her also. This family is very hard to find except the deaths of Harriott and Walter.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847

So  Harriott and husband Edward died in 1847 as well as Walter. :o

It would have been hepful if this information had been posted earlier.

As we can find no marriage , you will never know for certain which of the baptism are correct. :(

Are there any family descendants names that you recognise.  ??? Thomas or Ann or James , that might be  clue.   :-\

As your g. grandfather was only 7 and William 3 when both thier parents died personally I would be very sceptical about her exact birth date in the bible.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriage Index, which covers Tenterden, is a good place to look at the distribution of surnames.

http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php

Have you looked to see if the admission register for Tenterden Workhouse has survived?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
There is a selection of Harriet/Harriot AVERYS on the Kent & Sussex Weald website

http://theweald.org/home.asp

Most of them were born in Sussex though.  :-\
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847The reason you can't see Edward in the 1851, is because he died in 1847

So  Harriott and husband Edward died in 1847 as well as Walter. :o

It would have been hepful if this information had been posted earlier.

As we can find no marriage , you will never know for certain which of the baptism are correct. :(

Are there any family descendants names that you recognise.  ??? Thomas or Ann or James , that might be  clue.   :-\

As your g. grandfather was only 7 and William 3 when both thier parents died personally I would be very sceptical about her exact birth date in the bible.

It is unusual that Walter's birth and death date are correct, and also William and Edward,also Edward the father hand wrote the date of Harriotts death  and that she was 29yrs years and 10mths died in Bromley she died Mar 15 1847.
Barbar

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 04:00 BST (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriage Index, which covers Tenterden, is a good place to look at the distribution of surnames.

http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php

Have you looked to see if the admission register for Tenterden Workhouse has survived?
I just had a quick look at the Mid Kent marriages a lot of Manser's and Harriet Avery's but dates are wrong.I thought maybe Edward may have been born by a different surname, I have got the record of the Tenterden workhouse census on Ancestry. I don't know how to go about finding out if there is a admission record.

Barbara