Author Topic: Please date these shawls  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Please date these shawls
« on: Monday 03 August 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
My grandmother has a couple of antique silk shawls which she inherited. One is long and has lace surrounds, the other is smaller, square and has a fringe, and embroidery. They are very stained but still beautiful and light as a feather. I wondered if anyone with a knowledge of antique clothes could provide a date for them please? I'm also wondering if they could be wedding garments?
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline suecrilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please date these shawls
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Just butting in - my word they are glorious. Your grandmother is a very lucky lady
Sue

Offline suecrilly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
Mary
How long is the bigger of the two shawls ?-  I would imagine it has got to be a wedding shawl.
What fabric is the main body of the shawls? 
Sue

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
The bigger one is 90 inches long. They are both silk, I would think the lace and fringing is also silk.

I think they must have been special, being so old. My great grandmother got married in 1890, and my great great grandmother in 1861. I'm hoping someone will be able  to date the style so that I can perhaps try to link them to either of these events.

Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline suecrilly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
On the smaller one is it embossed embroidery ? If so, is it machine or hand embroidery?
I have been looking around the internet and can't find anything like them, however, I know I have seen the style before somewhere.  I have some old text books somewhere about textile history and there might be something similar in those.  I think they may be in my mothers loft. I will try and find out for you.
I will keep looking for you
Sue 

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, the longer shawl/stole reminds me of those worn in historical dramas like Pride and Prejudice
,Mansfield Park etc. the period about 1800-1830.Very possibly for weddings . They were also worn later in Victorian fashion.However the smaller one reminds me of something used at funerals--well the period when a deceased person lay in their coffin before burial,  in the front parlour.Their face would be covered  and the cloth lifted when visitors called to see the deceased, which was very common especially in Victorian days. I `m not sure there would be a fringe though.
What I am sure of is how lovely they are. Don`t mean to be rude but how are you storing them? Beware tissue paper which is not acid free!Enjoy them. Viktoria.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
The embroidery is on both sides, satin stitch. I think the whole thing is hand made, the hemming definitely is, and the fringe is stitched onto the hem directly, not added afterwards.

I have an ambrotype of my great great grandmother in ornate dress and wearing a shawl on what I believe is her wedding day. (Ambrotypes were only made between 1855 and 1865, and she was married in 1861).

The shawls are stored in a Debenhams bag at the moment! Must get some acid free paper for them.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am just watching a film " Blanche Fury" starring Valerie Hobson and Stewart  Granger(OOOOOOO). Val Hob is wearing a shawl exactly like the one you have. She is wearing it sometimes on her head and then just round her shoulders. It is Victorian times I should say 1860`s to 70`s as the clothes are just like those worn in Gone With The Wind and that was the American Civil war , mid 1860`s. She has just got married and it seems part of her wedding clothes. It really is the same. Just thought you`d like to know.Viktoria.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 August 09 14:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue and Viktoria
Thanks so much for your help with this - much appreciated!
Mary