Author Topic: Please date these shawls  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Please date these shawls
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 August 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Ooooh, Mary!

What a great photo/ambrotype!  Have you posted it on the Photo Restoration board for a clean-up?  I reckon it'd be gorgeous!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:41 BST (UK) »
Well, I think I may be a bit nearer. Found this picture, http://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_100.htm  and I think the shawls (or at least the fringed one) are ivory Chinese hand-embroidered silk, dated about 1890- 1900. this means they were probably my great-grandmother's wedding shawls, ie. those of Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon Farm, Stokesay in Shropshire. Her parents and grandparents were wealthy farmers for generations in the area. She was married in 1890 in Clun, so the shawls would have been very fashionable at the time. (I use Annie Louisa's picture as my icon).
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
In the photograph you  first posted the square shawl did not look anywhere near as big as the latest photo of one on a mannequin. What size is the square one ?it only looked of a size to just sit around the neck. Whatever they are -and I`d be inclined to the earlier date for the long one- they are lovely and I can tell you enjoy having them, thanks for sharing this. Viktoria.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 August 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Yes the square shawl isn't as big as the one in the website, but the embroidery and the fringing have similar patterns, so I think it is Chinese. Possibly earlier, perhaps bought for an earlier wedding and reused for Annie Louisa's? I think they are not those worn by her mother Charlotte in the ambrotype - difficult to see but I think her shawl is darker. I don't have a picture of Annie at her wedding unfortunately.
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just found this topic.

I have a shawl very similar to the large square one with long fringes in your picture.
 I was told that it was a christening shawl. It belonged to my mother and used for her christening in 1912 and then used for both my brother and I many years later. I now have it and use it occasionally. Its too beautiful to keep in a box and it's always admired when I wear it.
Hope this is of interest to you.

Mhomac
Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields