Author Topic: Patton family-Killeshandra  (Read 21968 times)

Offline despatton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patton family-Killeshandra
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
Made contact via PM
Thanks

Offline deniset

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Just came across these messages last night. I am the youngest granddaughter of John and Sarah Patton. My dad was Percy. Laura, his sister was married to George Clark, but they had no children. Herbert had one son Colin.  He was a career officer in the Irish army. He died in October 2004. I believe he and his wife *, had 3 children, one of whom is named *  they live in Ireland, possibly Co. Monaghan  Ida was married to a George Blakely. They had two children, * and Dona. * lives in south county Dublin. His dauughter, *, is a doctor also in Dublin.   His son * is an investment banker in London. Dona who died some years ago, had two daughters, * and *, who, last time I heard are in Englan.  Harold Patton, John and Sarah's oldest, lived in Bristol. I never met him but know he had 2sons, one of whom was *. Finally, my sister * lives in Dublin and I live in Arizona.

* Moderator's Note: details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please read Posting Guildelines in Help pages.

Offline deniset

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 12 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for all the typos in the last post!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 January 12 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was just talking to my mother on the phone  she lived in Killeshandra when she was young.I always remembered that her schoolteacher was called Patton. Anyway she told me a bit about the family history and I have just noticed that the names that she mentioned were the same as some of them earlier on this posting.
Sarah was my mother's schoolteacher in the 1930s, my Mum used to go to Sarah's house to practice the piano before school (the house had 3 steps up to the door and was next to the hotel in Killeshandra).  Then later Laura her daughter took over (she was married to George  Clarke) and taught my mother up until 1941 in Killeshandra.
Mum knew Ida (Laura's sister) too and my Mum was in contact for many years afterwards with Laura and has an old address and telephone number in her diary still where Laura lived in Terenure (hope I have spelt it OK) in Dublin. Mum could tell me that Ida had a daughter called Dona and I saw that too in the posting.
She also told me that the Pattons were related to a member of Parliament called Patton too.
I don't know if this is of any help, but my Mum was so delighted to share her memories about this family, cos they were all held in very high regard when she was at school.

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline despatton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi to DeniseT and MEW53,

Greetings from the Emerald Isle.

First things first, I'm Colin's youngest, as alluded to by DeniseT.

DeniseT
Great to hear from you. Sorry I didn't get to your post before the moderator!  I should have snapped up the names before their removel.  However, you can understand the intervention.  I've been trying to gather pieces together and all info is welcome. I have an old secondary email account des_patton(a)hotmail.com. I'd love to establish contact and get a copy of that info.  If you get a chance to make contact, drop a note here and I'll get a notification in my primary email account.

Margaret
Great to hear from you.  It's great to hear information from a primary source, your mum.  I've used maps.google.com to roam Killeshandra trying to nail the location of the house you referred to, however I can't be certain.  I drove up there last year and found John Patton's grave, which, up to that point, I was unaware of.  I'm also having a problem locating the school.  Do you have any further info on the school, for example name or location.  There is an old school house with a "For Sale" sign on it in Killeshandra (visible with street view on maps.google.com), but I don't know if has anything to do with it.   Any other info you  can get would be most appreciated. Thanks and please pass on my thanks to your Mum, I hope she is well. 

Google maps reference

Cheers
Des Patton

Offline deniset

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Des

Check your secondary e-mail.   

Margaret,

Interesting reading.  I did not know that Laura had taught in Killeshandra.  I vaguely remember steps up to the front door, when my father brought us to the town one time, but, by that time, the family was long gone from the town, so I don't think we actually went into the house.  I believe that the graves in the old cemetery, now condemned, had to be moved, due to flooding from the lake.  It's strange the snippets of memory you have.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Des & Denise,

I saw the school photo on google map, will talk to my Mum tomorrow when I visit to see if she can give me any more information on the location of the school. Strange how my Mum remembered about the steps up to the front door. My Mum's last visit to Killeshandra was in the 1960s, so I expect a lot has changed there.

Margaret

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline deniset

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Margaret

Actually, I don't think the main street of the town is that different.  My husband and I were there in 2006, and, other than being spruced up a bit, it reminded me of every other small Irish town of my childhood. 

See attached.
Denise

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Denise for the photo, I don't seem to be getting notifications on this post, just quickly looked to see if there was anything from you or Des and saw your reply!

Main St looks just the same as when I last visited in the 1960s as a child, good memories!
I will update you after my visit to my Mum's tomorrow, we are in England.

Margaret