Author Topic: 1841 census look up  (Read 1270 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census look up
« on: Tuesday 04 August 09 04:02 BST (UK) »
Could you please look in the 1841 census for Samuel Dean married to a Martha ????? Possibly still living in Marnhull, Dorset. Am trying to get a bit of an idea as to which years these 2 were born in. Much appreciated and many thanks. mygirlbill

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
hi mygirlbill

I had a look at the Marnhull 1841 Census and there was no Samuel & Martha Dean there.

Where did you get your info from?

Wendy :)
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 11:24 BST (UK) »
In later census the only Martha Dean I can see in Marnhull is married to a George  :-\

The only Samuel Dean I can see in Marnhull in 1841 is 3 months old, son of Charles and Mary

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 03:07 BST (UK) »
I can't remember where I first got the info from regarding Samuel Dean. I was told that a Samuel Dean was married to a Martha?? and that they had 2 children, twins Martha and Edward born Dec. 1803. in Marnhull, Dorset. (Daughter Martha is my direct ancestor who later married Thomas Taylor.) As for the parents, I did find them on the 1821 census and the info given there coincides with this family. (2 males 2 females) Daughter Martha was married in Gillingham in 1827 so could it be possible that the family moved to Gillingham between the years 1821 and and 1841? I have no access to a 1841 census for that area. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. mygirlbill

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Here's Martha in 1841 census

HO107 Piece 290  Book  17 Folio  14  Page 6
Bugley, Gillingham, Dorset
Thomas Taylor  35  Ag Lab
Martha     35
William     12
Elizabeth   9
Harriett      6
Sarah     4

will have a look for her brother, it's quite likely the parents have died

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Nothing found in census in Gillingham

baptisms  Marnhull   27 Dec 1803
 Martha DEAN     daughter of Samuel & Martha               
 Edward DEAN  son of              "             "

Barbara

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
This newspaper extract says that Samuel had died by the time his daughter married in 1827:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/S&WJAug131827.html

There is also a reference to a Samuel Dean of Gillingham in 1825 here, but no evidence that it is the same person, except that both are fairly well off:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/S&WJJune131825.html

The Gillingham burials have been transcribed but Samuel is not there:
http://www.opcdorset.com/GillinghamFiles/Gillingham.htm

Richard

All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk