Author Topic: 'Walters millions' estate. courtcase & Treasury.  (Read 11263 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: 'Walters millions' estate. courtcase & Treasury.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 May 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
they owned a tea plantation in Ceylon/sri lanka and left an estate worth millions!

I have been watching this thread out of interest to see where it leads.

Do you think the story could have been altered over the years? My way of thinking is that if someone owned property to the extent of that sort of value back in the early to mid 1800's you wouldnt have to look far to find them, they would notably be high society. One would also think IF they had property to that value they would have been business minded in every sense therefore would have had a will to protect their assets when they died.

There was no doubt a court case etc but i dont feel it was over "millions".

Sad fact that over the years stories get embellished.  My husbands family always talked of land that they were swindled out of.  Today this would be worth millions as it's thought the land was in the area of St Barts Hospital, London.  The story goes that "important papers" were burnt by a family member.....hmm. 
Since the family were pretty much as poor as church mice back to the mid 1700's one has to wonder how true the story is.  Great fun to research though  ;D
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Walters millions' estate. courtcase & Treasury.
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for the reply. I do find it really strange that I can't find any mention of it in archived newspapers or on the internet. However it it wasn't for my gran who gave my a lot of accurate information, before she passed away, I would not have been able to do my family tree. She did have a very good memory and everything else has been correct. But it is very odd that we can find nothing. According to my gran a member of the family went over to Ceylon and did make a fortune from a plantation. They died over there, intestate and another member put a claim in and ended up losing his house over court fees, when the money went to the chancery. My gran also said that the marriage records, providing the link were destroyed by fire, in Llangynog church. There was a fire in that church and records were lost. Thanks for looking, I am very grateful. hobbyhorse