Author Topic: Please can anyone help?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please can anyone help?
« on: Tuesday 04 August 09 13:43 BST (UK) »
I have South African ancestors, but do not have much detail to work on. This is all I have:

William James Whiteley born 11-11-1863 in St. Helena Military Barracks (father was possibly William Whiteley born circa 1836 in England). His father definitely fought in the Crimea - at Balaclava and at The Alma.
WJW  moved to Capetown as a child.
Married twice 1) to 'a Cape Dutch woman whose name was Heydenrich' who died circa 1908/09.
2) to his first wife's sister
One of the women had the first names Charlotte Caroline (possibly the first wife).
There were three children:Gladys Merle born 18-10-1900 in East London, Cape Province; Alwyn and Edna.
Gladys married George Gregory at Greenwood Park Methodist Church, Duker Fontein, Natal 05-12-1925 and emigrated to Australia 1927/28. I have details of her migration to Australia and her married life and her life in Australia.
WJW 1912 moved to Durban.
WJW died 11-10-1942.

What I would like to know are details of the marriages of WJW, his parents and perhaps D of B of Edna and Alwyn. I have made interesting historical research on St. Helena, the Charge of the Light Brigade and The Alma, but I am lacking in specific dates and detail.

I have tried myself, but without success. I have tried the NAAIRS web site, but found not hits. I really would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Tofgem

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Please can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I haves just looked in NAAIRS and there appears to be some records for a William James Whiteley ::) I usually use the RSA search as it looks at all the archives
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please can anyone help?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian
Thanks for checking. I will try again. I always have problems when I am unfamiliar with a site and this is the only South frican link in my research. Again thanks for taking the touble to look for me.
Tofgem