Author Topic: Hessle Road in Hull  (Read 8837 times)

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
Hessle Road in Hull
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  i havent been on here for sometime due to family commitments, however I am now back and am looking for someone who may have knowledge of Hessle Road from 1911-1950 ;  I live close to Hull but our history  and research centre has been closed until the new history centre is completed. This wont be until this Autumn.  So I am throwing a line out here in case anyone knows anything about an old Sweet Shop that was possibly in the Hessle area of Hull.  It was run by the Nicholson family, Robert and Matilda;  He was an ex Skipper both had been born in Great Yarmouth and moved toHull about 1891 or just after.

Matilda was a lovely lady by all accounts as she used to give sweets to the poorer children when they could not afford to pay. 

Hiopefully someone will have an answer but if not I will wait until our new history centre opens and visit it myself for information.

Eise
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Hessle Road in Hull
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
Can't really help, but interestingly my g.grandparents had a tobacconist and sweet shop at 395 Hessle Road, Hull from sometime after 1891 census until 1935 when g.grandfather died.  I've got a photo of g.grandmother standing outside the shop.  Interestingly, g.grandfather was an ex trawlerman, whether he was a skipper or not I haven't discovered yet - family legend says he was ???

There is a site called Historical Directories.org where you can search trade directories for people at various addresses,so you may find your family on there.

Lizzie

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lizzie I will try this and let you know if I find anything.  This is a site I hadnt heard of.

I cant wait for the nre history centre in Hull to open.

Your family are not Nicholsons by chance are they?

eise
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Else

No, no Nicholsons in my family.  They were Wrights.

Lizzie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Eise,
I have a 1928 map of all the business premises along Hessle Road and the owners' names...if you know the name of the the owners or the shop...I could have a look for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline AnnD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 10 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol,

Could I possibly ask if you could look for the name Newell (a grocers) along the Hessle Road, I would be interested in any names given.

Many thanks,
Ann :)

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Eise

1912 Census
Living at 97 Flinton Street, Hessle Road
Robert and Matilda with children
PM me for further details
Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex

Offline chezzal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 December 23 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie
My Wrights and Nicholsons in Hull are very closely related. Have you been able to get their line any further back than David Scarlet/Scarnet and Mary Chapman? I would very much appreciate any information you could assist me with in relation to either of these family lines. Thank you
Chezzal

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 24 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry only just seen your post.

My problem is that George William Wright, who lived with my g.gran (she took his name but they weren't married) is a total mystery.  I don't believe that Wright was his real name.  From my aunt's memory and DNA, he was Jewish and probably a Da Costa.  There are no Nicholsons in my family tree at all. I've never heard of David Scarlet or Mary Chapman.

Lizzie