Author Topic: tailors . military ? . johnsons of nassau street ? photo i.d ?  (Read 7470 times)

Offline buttonnid

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tailors . military ? . johnsons of nassau street ? photo i.d ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 July 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
hi ive two tailors in my family . jeremiah hanrahan and son michael hanrahan . michael born dublin 17/1/1876 . michael worked at some stage for MAYBE johnsons military tailors on nassau street ? jeremiah made wedding outfits and traveled to and from england working .

anybody find a tailors called johnsons on nassau street ?
anybody find either jeremiah or michael as tailors in any kind of trade directory ?
any comments on photo would be great michael is 2nd from bottom right .
also jeremiah is missing , cant find birth marriage (mary maher) or death or grave .

have michaels birth marriage death 1911 census . there dublin city centre people .
thanks in advance for any help .

found a military tailor named Johnstone on Dawson street in Thom's 1894 & 84. This street has a junction with Nassau street.

59 Dawson street - J. B. Johnstone, 
    military and merchant tailor,
     also 34 Sackville street, London

I can't help much with this one - you slightly confused verbal family history would probably account for the Regents Park destination for your ancestor - note that Sackville St. is adjacent to Regent Street and is often used in the address. John Brown Johnstone were advertised in the City Directories for London. I have seen the firm variously advertised as Military Tailors and/or  Outfittersand  and as as indicated below.

Johnstone, John Brown.      London.
27, Jermyn Street.               1850 1854.    ACL + Army Clothier sub heading in the Trades
                                                                       section of the City Directories quoted here.
34, Sackville Street.             1855 1891.ACL.
Johnstone, John Brown.      London.
34, Sackville Street.             1855 1901.ACL.
34 & 35, Sackville Street.     1902 1906.ACL.
Johnstone, John Brown Ltd.
34 & 35, Sackville Street.     1907 1944.ACL.

Additional address:
59, Dawson Street, Dublin.   1880 1889.ACL.chkdA. (this last note indicates that I have checked this against the alphabetical series in the Directories as dated.
J.B.Johnstones deceased notice, (d 05/04/1901 in The London Gazette only mentions the London address so I suspect they were no longer operating in Ireland at that time. One thing I would say about the photo is that it is a shame that i cannot see anything particularly military in the floor litter!

I hope this has been of some use to you. regards buttonnid

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 July 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Obbie,

I'm guessing that this picture was compressed for uploading here.  If that is the case, would it be possible to send me a more high resolution version?

My GGfather was also a tailor in central Dublin and I'm thinking possibly the man bottom left.  He later definitely worked as a military tailor in England.

If you do have a better copy of the pic, I can send you my email contact by PM.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
thanks for the info thats great
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline imsij

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 August 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in Robert Forbes, a nephew of J.B. Johnstone, who worked in the shop in Dawson street from 1867 and later became the Manager there. He worked there until at least 1894.
Is there a date on the photograph, or names of the other people?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 January 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, buttonnid, John Brown Johnstone's daughter Janet married William Sang in 1866. He was my 1st cousin 3 times removed and he was a woollen cloth merchant. You have saved me a bit of trawling through street directories!

Robert Forbes, aged 16, born in Scotland, was a visitor in the household of John Brown Johnstone in the 1861 census. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 January 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, buttonnid, John Brown Johnstone's daughter Janet married William Sang in 1866. He was my 1st cousin 3 times removed and he was a woollen cloth merchant. You have saved me a bit of trawling through street directories!

Robert Forbes, aged 16, born in Scotland, was a visitor in the household of John Brown Johnstone in the 1861 census. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.