Author Topic: Death of Charles Harvey  (Read 3806 times)

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Charles Harvey
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 August 09 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart
You very kindly gave me some details of a death at sea of Charles Harvey last week.  Is it possible you can tell me where the details came from as I cannot find anything to match anywhere and I'd really like to try and get the certificate or use the info to try and find out more.
Many thanks
Diane
  :-\
Turpin (Essex)  Challis (Essex) Chamberlain (Somerset) Harvey (Burnham Essex) Goodchild (Alton) Knights (Alton)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

The information came from the Merchant Seaman's Benefit Society records which are lodged at the Societe Jersiaise Library. The 20 (approx) volumes details the amount paid by each seaman who sailed on a Jersey registered boat. You can cross reference the seaman's payments to which boat he sailed on.

Someone has gone through the records and extracted all seaman marked as "dead" and produced a typewritten list. On occasions they have crossed referenced the list to the Jersey Chronique newspaper for more details.

This is where I found the death of Charles Harvey. I have not looked in any of the microfilms of newspapers as I cannot read French and there are no other records available on-line.

I am told by the Archivist that it is possible to get further details but these would be at the National Archive where again nothing is on-line. Have a look at http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/researchguidesindex.asp in particular the records under Merchant Seamen and Birth, Marriages at Deaths at Sea.

Stewart

Offline dizer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stewart

I do go to Kew a couple of times a year and will take this info with me.

Annoyingly I was on holday in Jersey in May - before I knew all about my Jersey link!!!

Best regards
Diane :D
Turpin (Essex)  Challis (Essex) Chamberlain (Somerset) Harvey (Burnham Essex) Goodchild (Alton) Knights (Alton)