Author Topic: Re:Sharing Useful Links  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Sharing Useful Links
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 March 05 08:00 BST (UK) »
All right I am wearing a huge load of guilt on my shoulders now.  I have been very busy for many months and have neglected my searching.  And obviously helping.
Canadian provinces differ greatly in being helpful ... British COlumbia where I live is a very good website.  As for questions regarding central info for nurses, our lawyers (solicitors/barristers) have a "Bar Association"; physicians have a "college" in each province which lists them.  Canadian census is same as in UK, 1901 has been released and is sort of helpful ... but not transcribed and difficult to decipher handwriting. www.collectionscanada.ca
www.canadagenweb.blogspot.com
Alberta Family Histories Society          www.censuslinks.com
"canada 411"   or "teldir" are good sites for current addresses and phone #'s
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca
all canadian provinces also have counties, although we do not refer to them as much as the UK does
hope this helps anyone searching, will add more and look up what I can on those requests
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 March 05 08:11 BST (UK) »
Mars Barr - that would be NAPANEE, Ontario.  And for others ...
From my own research on Irish ancestors, (among the million or more who left Ireland in famine) most of them settled in Ontario and some in Quebec.  I gather from extensive research that many farm workers travelled quite freely back and forth over the border for work, marrying willy nilly - each other, canadians, americans ... unlike today with our soon to be armed customs gates!  I did find a skeleton in my closet ... a Great Grandad who had 7 children, one of whom was right in the middle and was illegitimate ... so the entire family sort of disappeared from the records for a bit, very hard to trace.

It takes a lot of work and imagination.  For example I know that my grandfather Collier moved to Medicine Hat, Alberta, from County Erin, Ontario around 1903 - so I typed in search "postmasters canada" as I knew he was one, and found a most interesting list in Canadian archives.  I have written to all the Colliers still in that area and have had no replies.  Disappointing, but .... never give up.  If you have any idea what city or county your ancestors may have emigrated to, just type that and province in your search box.  You never know.
Janine Page nee Rewers
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 March 05 08:22 BST (UK) »
www.automatedgenealogy.com

this is the site that has the complete transcription on the canadian 1901 census done by volunteer transcribers, and most if not all of the western provinces census - manitoba, alberta and sask. from 1906.  These are also all matched to a link window to the original image form the archives of canada.  It is an amazing project and I have found it very handy - since in 1901 they asked for your birthday - not just your age.

(I was gonna look up the name sin the string - but i thought you all would enjoy the link..)

Tom

P.S. - I am in Toronto - always glad to help out with ideas from this side of the pond  :-)
census information is crown copyright
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
durham - moon, bowman, waters
kent - millgate, hatcher, cox, alaby, gibbs, goodbourne, hollams
lancashire - dears, bradborn, matthews, burke
london - mears
northumberland - curry, grey
yorkshire - bergan, ackney, irwin, sclaes, metcalf, crosby
caithness - stewart, waters, gunn, cormack, horne
refrewshire - houston, dow
hamburg germany - dears ( deircs)

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 March 05 06:46 BST (UK) »
Wonderful Tommy, thank you!  I was not aware of this one.  I am in Vancouver B.C. ;D
Janine Page nee Rewers

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re:Sharing Useful Links / CRAIGEN
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 16:49 BST (UK) »
Les,

There are 10 CRAIGENs listed here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html
Soldiers of the First World War
(Government of Canada website)

If you view the images, the first page of the attestation form should list place of birth.  Depending on your relatives' ages, perhaps you might find them here.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters