Author Topic: Re:Sharing Useful Links  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Tunbridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Sharing Useful Links
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 00:12 BST (UK) »
Meg: My apologies for duplicating your information.
ISLE OF MAN - BELL, CLAGUE, KENYON, MONK, RICHARDSON, OATES
SCOTLAND - WALLACE, STEVEN, SMITH, BARR, THOMSON, RENNIE, ALLARDYCE, ROSS, BELL
SOUTH AFRICA - STEVEN, BELL, BARNETT
CAMBRIDGESHIRE, UK - MUNCEY, ENDERSBY
TEXAS & NEW YORK, USA - RICHARDSON
PENNYSLVANIA, W. VIRGINIA, ILLINOIS, USA - WALLACE

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 14:19 BST (UK) »
 :P
Hi Janine,
I wonder if you can  advise me on how to further my rsearch in trying to find my rellies in Canada?

My g.father & his two sisters were sent to Ontario in 1885 from the Stoke on Trent Workhouse, I have the details of my g.father`s marriage, he married Mabel Grant in 1894, & my mother Laura Maud was born there in Hastings County 1896. They left Canada in 1900 and went to Scotland.

His sister Grace Gagan, married Augustus Gartland in 1894, Napana Ontario, in 1903 she had twin sons Jerome & Jerrold, the trail goes cold from then, I cannot find out any more info, such as, when did she die,or did the twins die, have been unable to trace them. Their birth was registered by her sister in law, Maggie Driscoll, she was wife of Michael Gartland, wonder why she registered the birth and not the parents?

G.father`s other sister, I found on the 1891 census, she had been sent to work as domestic servant with Mr & Mrs Hayes, in 1891 she was still with Mrs Catherine Hayes, then a widow, cannot trace Laura Gagan from then, imagine she may have married, but cannot find evidence of her marriage on the sites that are available, I know there has to be relatives there somewhere, my mother had correspondence with them until after WW2, then she stopped writing.
Think she wanted to avoid her family finding out about the past? so I never knew where they were or their surnames, I have only gleaned the above information after a great deal of research (and expense!).

I would welcome any advice you may be able to offer?
thank you
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline Bushman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 September 04 07:38 BST (UK) »
I am particularly interested in sources of immigration records and bearing in mind that I have only the vaguest of year numbers and no idea of the place of landing, I fear that such may prove an impossible task. My relatives (surname CRAIGEN) left Aberdeen/Kincardine early 1900s.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Les
Bedford UK
Researching Bush and Craigen

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 23:41 BST (UK) »
Les,
If you go to the Canadian Genealogy Site (link already posted in this section), under the topic for Immigration, there are sixteen Craigens listed.  More information can be found on the site, but here is the list:

Immigration Records (1925-1935)
Surname   Given name   Age   Nationality   Year of arrival

1       Craigen    Ben    50    Ir    1926   
2       Craigen    Charles    26    Sco    1926   
3       Craigen    Charles    26    Sco    1926   
4       Craigen    Charles    40    Sco    1926   
5       Craigen    Elizabeth    4    Sco    1927   
6       Craigen    George    11    Sco    1927   
7       Craigen    Helen    28    Sco    1926   
8       Craigen    Henry    21    Ir    1926   
9       Craigen    Henry    27    En    1928   
10       Craigen    Jean    37    Sco    1927   
11       Craigen    Lee    27    Ir    1925   
12       Craigen    Lee    28    Ir    1926   
13       Craigen    Peter    5    Sco    1927   
14       Craigen    Thomas    37    Sco    1927   
15       Craigen    Thomas    7    Sco    1927   
16       Craigen    William    2    Sco    1927   

Good luck in your search,
~meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline sylviao

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 September 04 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Janice trying to find my relatives in Canada.
The family emigrated in the 1930's.I saw my fathers cousins during the war .One was in the canadian Navy and one in the Airforce.They are dead now but thier families are in Calgary.Name of Cannings.The Family originated from Leicester.   Story in the family that they once owned a large bingo Hall in Calgary.Sylviao
O'shea/Smith/Daveridge/Spencer/Abbey/O'leary/Clarke/Bicker/Best/Bradshaw/Austin/Sanders/Collins/
Gilliver/Holyland/Deeming/Moore/Pilkington/Dodd/
Oddy/Thackeray/Tansley/Starkey.
Area's.Devon/Somerset/Northampton/Surrey/
Hampshire/Leicestshire/Rutland/Yorkshire/
Warwickshire.

Offline Bushman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 September 04 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Meg, appreciate the trouble you took to get that list for me. 

Subsequent research indicates that the ancestors left Scotland in 1907 so none  of those on the list could be mine. Nevertheless, it is all safely filed away 'just in case' !!   :)

Les
Researching Bush and Craigen

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
Canada Emigrants
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 October 04 20:38 BST (UK) »
My John Jenkins left Ireland during the potato famine w/wife Mary/Maria J. Salmon Dwyer Jenkins and kids John , Charles, Ralph and Eliza. Mother Mary (m) before to a Dwyer but prob. (m) to Jenkins by 1840 due to kids ages.  Son John may actually have been Dwyer but went by Jenkins, he was 5 years older than next child. Kids all (b) between 1833 and 1842 in Ireland.  Family history says came from County Cork.  May have gone to Canada first but were in New York by 1850.  Living w/them in 1850 was a Catherine Hanson or Henson age 22 (b) Ire..  Her relationship unknown. Father John (b)  between 1797 and 1817, Mother Mary (b) between 1804 and 1816.  Different records give different ages so unsure exactly when born.  Were either Catholic or once found connected to Church of England.  If they went to Canada first prob. arrived there between 1842 to 1850 before going on to N.Y..  Can you check any records which may help me find them in Canada?  I have checked many ships lists w/no luck.  Don't know if they left from Ire. or England as I know it was cheaper for them to travel to Eng. and ship from there.  Do Know they prob. went to Quebec in Canada if they did go to Canada.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Wish I could locate them in Ireland!!!
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 November 04 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Group:

Have been off searching out all sorts of goodies about a Great Great Uncle who rode with the 90th Battalion out of Fort Garry, Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1885 during the Louis Riel Rebellion.   Very intresting and much learned along the way.

After trying to get into Manitoba Vital Stats (can be googled) and never getting anywhere, suddenly discovered that the least information given them, brings the best results.  BMD - l00, 90 and 80 years old are available with certificate numbers, but just use the SURNAME only.  Had tried every manner of getting info on G. Grandparents marriages, etc. and SURNAME only  finally brought the desired results.

Also found out that in 1881 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada already had HENDERSON DIRECTORIES - these gave addresses of city (town?) dwellers and in some cases the earlier gave names and land descriptions of persons living outside Winnipeg.  The Winnipeg Library - Librarian Research Assistant looked up things in Hendersone's Directory for me and also pulled 3 items from the Free Press of 1888.  The free press is available at the library on film.   One should never overlood their library in Canada.  Am now on the trail of  photos of (hopefully) this G.G. Uncle who fought at Fish Creek and Batoche in the Louis Riel Rebellion with the 90th.   Librarian gave me a couple of sites for Archives and Museums that hold pictures from that era.  Hope this helps someone looking for persons in Canada.  Good Hunting.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline lmj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 November 04 04:31 GMT (UK) »
I would like to get your links. I am trying to find out when my great grandfather immigrated to Canada from Hitchins, Hertfordshire, England.  Family legend says about 1894-96.  He was born 1876 name Albert Kingsley.  Also his brother William came at a later date, 1900?  And a Dorothy Kingsley aged 14 in 1901.  Can you give me any idea where to look?  I have a bunch of lookerupers.  Herbert Kingsley born 1886 in St. Ippolyts,Hertfordshire, England.  I can track them in England but lost some in Canada.  Any help would be great
Kingsley's immigrating to Canada from England (Pirton area) and coming to the Prairies (Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta)