Author Topic: William Steel & Mabel Eva Rowan.Toronto  (Read 6963 times)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Steel & Mabel Eva Rowan.Toronto
« on: Saturday 08 August 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find info about William Steel and Mabel Eva Rowan.
William married Mabel Eva Rowan on 9th April 1919 Toronto.
 I have her birth certificate and it has the name as Maud Eva Rowan, b 3 Aug 1880 Durham Canada.

I am interested to find out if they had any children and also if anyone is able to find any deaths for them please.

Thanks
Annette :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Steel & Mabel Eva Rowan.Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
If you search here http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/
you will find, at the Nestleton United Church Cemetery in Cartwright Township, Durham County
Mabel E. Steel and William.  Also there are Richard Rowan and Mary Anna Seymour.  Mabel/Maud's parents were Richard and Mary Anne (Seymour).  Good possibility that this is your couple.  It doesn't mean they spent their married life in this area as some families kept the tradition of a family burial plot.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onwob22/cemeteries/nestletn.htm
An image of the Nestleton cemetery but for any details regarding the dates on the headstones you will have to contact the Dundas Genealogical Society Branch in Whitby - details on how to do this are provided from the first link in this message.

In order to trace children you will have to find some mention of this couple through newspaper articles, obituaries.  Perhaps you could find something here http://www.ontarioobits.com/
The births for any children from this couple would be protected under privacy laws for many years to come.  If you looked for anything regarding the siblings of Mabel you might also find some mention of her possible children.  Also check out the services of various libraries in the area that you think this couple might have lived in.  And there is the pay site for the Toronto Star newspaper http://pagesofthepast.ca/

Debbie

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 09 03:08 BST (UK) »
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 09 03:40 BST (UK) »
Cosmac and Lisa inCalifornia,
Thanks to both of you  for the information that you have sent to me.
I will have a look and see what they have, and another bit of the Family Puzzle will be found.
I appreciate what you have sent.
Thanks very much,

Regards
Annette.
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.

Offline Andrew Addison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 09 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

I am one of the grandsons of William Steel and Mabel Eva Wilmina Rowan Steel from Nestleton, Ontario. They lived in a farm at Nestleton before moving into the town opposite the Church where there is a cemetary. William and Mabel Steel are buried under the Rowan stone at this cemetary. I live in Australia and my Mother was Margaret Rowan Steel who unfortunately passed away August 2005. Margaret was the only child of William and Mabel. There was a large extended family that originated from Richard Rowan. I have looked into the family history a little bit much gets lost if not spoken about regularly. There is quite a lot of information on the Rowan Family History produced by Merve Rown who my mother met in Australia. I have quite a lot of this info in hard copy family tree (sorry I do not know the internet link to this information). I have an older brother Allan who has two sons Daniel and Timothy. I am the more independent type and do not have kids. Allan was born on 3 August (same date as Mabel). 

I have attached some photos of the Rowan Stone. Mabel and Billy are buried together (Billy in ashes as he died in Australia and my mum brought his ashes back to be with Mabel and there was a ceremony). Nestelton is a fabulous place. My mother was an avid writer and kept in touch with all her friends and family and was very much loved by all. Looking through the Nestleton cemetary I feel very much at home because I know so many of the names. Mum married Ron Addison (an Australian) in Canada and came to Sydney in 1960. I arrived in 1961 and known as William Andrew Addison.

I am interested to know where you fit into the family tree. I registered with this site so feel free to write. I would verymuch like to get to know a lot more about my family and do not have UK contacts. What I do know is that William Steel (Billy) came from Paisley just outside Glasgow and he got on the boat to Canada when he was 19 (or thereabouts).

I was very happy to see someone interested in Billy and Mabel. I did not know my Grandmother well other than through stories from my Mum. Billy was a real character who I admired and adored very much.

Best Wishes,
Andrew

Offline Andrew Addison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 09 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Again Annette,

The photos were too large to get through. I have reduced their size and need to send them in three separate posts. They are all of the Rowan Stone (each side of the stone has an engraving of different family members): --

1) Mabel and William Steel buried together.
2) Richard Rowan.
3) The Rowan stone with me, Katherine Pummel and Eileen Pummell. Both Pummells are my cousins from the Roawn family.

Hope these are of value to you.

Andrew

Offline Andrew Addison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Here is the photo of Richard Rowan on the Rowan stone.

Andrew

Offline Andrew Addison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 September 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Finally, here is the photo of me and two of my Pommell cousins at the Rowan Stone in Nestleton United Church cemetary.

Andrew

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 September 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your email. It was great to receive it and to know that another link in the family has been able to be noted.

I am connected by marriage. My Father in Law was a Grandson of John Steel and Margaret Fraser. There son Robert was his father, and William was younger brother.
I will PM you and give you my email address as I also live in Australia.

Regards
Annette.