Author Topic: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY  (Read 9234 times)

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY
« on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
hello everyone

I am new to the site and would be very grateful if any of you could give me some advice on one of my brick walls.

I have the name and marriage of an ancestor called Henry Handbury or Hanbury, I also found him in the 1841 census giving his age as 60. I can't find his birth even though I have been to the records office and I dont know the name of his parents.

A wonderful gentleman in Canada who has Handburys from the same area has very kindly provided me with a huge spreadsheet that must have taken him years - it catalogues all the Handburys in the whole county!! My problem is that without knowing his parents how can I confirm if any of the Henrys on the spreadsheet are the 'right' one? I know people moved villages and I have examples of that in the family - but the ones on the 'right village' are married to the 'wrong 'woman!  I have no idea what to do now I have such a selection. I appreciate my wonderful luck in having such a resource but what do I do next?

thanks for reading this and I hope you can help

Sue

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: eeny meeny miny mo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue, and welcome to RootsChat !

I am sure we can help or give you ideas of what to do next.

What county are we talking about ?

Have you searched for the death of Henry ?   Got his death certificate ?   

(By the way; take NOTHING on the spreadsheet as true unless you check it yourself !   We have all been caught in that way !)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Lydart
Thanks for the welcome.

I am researching Henry Handbury (Hanbury) in  Swanwick Derbyshire, although, as there was no church until mid 1800's ,most of the marriages etc are registered at Alfreton. I have not got a death cert only marriage details from the record office.

We have a letter in the family from an elderly uncle that says the family originated in Ashover, but thanks to Jim in Canada who supplied loads of info on Handburys in Ashover none of them seem to match with my Henry who married Sarah Bryan at Alfreton on19 Aug 1811.

There are other Henry HAnburys in Derbyshire - the most promising looks like Ticknall - but without verification it's just dreaming isn't it ?!

I didn't think a death cert would give parentage so how would it help/ (sorry to sound dense)

Sue

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
The informant on the death cert might give you another family name ??

Have you posted this request on the Derbyshire board ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Its not an area I know anything at all about !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 August 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lydart  - I hadn't thought about finding another name, I had supposed it would be his wife or one of his children and I have all their names.

I haven't posted on the Derbyshire board yet, this is my first set of posts. I obviously want to find the actual Henry I'm looking for but I am also interested in the mechanics of looking and researching - given that I don't know the names of parents how have others tracked down their ancestors in the same circumstances ....if they have managed to do it!

I've just read that back and it makes me sound a nerd!!Sorry But I'm sure you know what I am trying to say.

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 August 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello nelliedee, and welcome to RootsChat!

This may be a silly question, but if you're researching a Henry Handbury in Swanwick, why are you trying to work out which one might be yours in Ashover? Was he in Swanwick on the 1841 census?

A death certificate might give you a more accurate indication as to his age than the 1841 census, where the ages were rounded to the nearest 5 or 0, ie 60 could be 55 upwards. That's assuming that whoever registered the death actually knew his proper age, of course. But once you've got a more accurate year of birth, that might help to sort out the possibles from your database.

There's a Henry Handbury christening IGI in Ashover on the Family Search website for 1774, but that's a bit early for your man.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 09 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Aniseed

Thanks for your welcome.

I realise now that in trying to shortcut all my info. I appear to be doing very odd unconnected things (so what's new??!!)

I traced Henry Handbury back to 1841 census living in Swanwick aged 60. He married Sarah Bryan in 1811 at Alfreton ( no church in Swanwick at that date) I have copy of register entry. I cannot find any trace of his birth in the parish registers at Matlock at the approx. age given in the census - I looked five years either side. The Ashover quest is because an elderley relative wrote in a letter that he believed the family came from Ashover. There are a lot of Handburys in Ashover and the churchyard is full of them!

Henry Handbury b 1774 Ashover married Grace Slinn in 1795 and had 4 children that I have found in the records - one of them a Henry b 1802 who ended up living in Soho Covent Garden. An older sibling of this Henry was buried in 1799 so he's out!
The other Henry Handburys in Derbyshire are from various villages and this is where my query came from ........is there any way of checking to see if they are 'mine' when I don't know the name of his parents? Sorry for the lengthy reply

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
nelliedee, I’m assuming that there wasn’t any information given about parents in the Alfreton marriage register in 1811? Did your elderly relative give his reason for thinking that the family came from Ashover, other than the fact that there were a lot of them there? Also, I'm not quite sure why you've looked in the parish registers for Matlock when he lived in Swanwick and got married in Alfreton. Have you checked the Alfreton registers? Sorry for being thick here!

I still think it would be worth your while getting his death certificate…is it the one listed in 1848 in Belper? If you’ve got a better idea of his year of birth, then you can rule out quite a lot of your possibles and narrow it down considerably.

What was Henry’s trade? I recently found out who the father of my 4x great grandfather was from an entry I found on Google Books in the list of the Freemen of Great Yarmouth, which also listed the fathers or apprentice masters. That was an amazing find! If your ancestor was a member of a guild or similar organisation, it might say who his father was.

Otherwise you could try and see if he was named in a will, which is a way I found out about the parents of one of my 5x great grandfathers. Do you know the National Archives website? You could search there, although they only have wills up to 1859 (I think).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

I’ve just done a quick search for Handbury and a will came up for John Handbury or Hanbury 1650 in Worcester, so not much help. But you could search through the probate indexes on Find My Past if it seems likely that Henry’s father might have left a will. It’s going to be complicated by the fact that you won’t know his first name or when he died, but if you find any possibles it might be worth taking a punt and sending off for the wills.

In case you don’t know how to find the Probate Indexes on FindMyPast, click on this link below:

http://www.findmypast.com/BirthsMarriagesDeaths.jsp

and then look down the Deaths and Burials bit until you find ‘Index to death duty registers 1796-1903’. You have to search them year by year, and if you don’t have a subscription (as I don’t) you have to buy credits and it can get a bit pricey. You can go to London and search for wills personally, or you can pay Her Majesty’s Courts Service to look for you. More details here:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1183.htm

I’m not a huge authority on wills, though. Maybe someone who knows more about it than I do knows a better way.

Anyway, there are a few suggestions to be going on with. Try to think outside the box, what sort of forms do we fill in today that require our parents’ names? Good luck!

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
Its also worth considering mis-spellings when checking records ... Handbury could so easily become Hanbury ...