Author Topic: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY  (Read 9236 times)

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 August 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here’s the update I promised – particularly for Aniseed and Gardener who asked the questions that set me on this particular search

Henry Handbury married Sarah Bryan 19 Aug 1811
Witnesses James Handbury and Elizabeth Elliott

James Handbury married Sophia Elliott 18 Nov 1811 Alfreton
Witnesses Thomas Handbury and Jonathon Elliott

Thomas Handbury married Elizabeth Fidler 27 Jan 1812 Alfreton
Witnesses James Elliott and Ann Fidler

No entries in the register mentioned parents' names. But it looks as these all knew each other doesn’t it?! Do you think it too big a leap to say that the Handburys might be brothers?

There are no entries of births, marriages or death for any body named Handbury/Hanbury/Hanberry etc in Alfreton before 1800….believe me I looked!! My eyes are still crossed from 5 hours looking at records. I looked at BMD register for Alfreton and then checked them with some transcripts they had to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

If they are brothers and Thomas was born in Ashover it gives me a link as suggested by the elderly uncle, but I don’t feel confident enough to go that far yet.

I checked the Ashover records and there are a fair few Handburys and Hanburys and there is a Thomas Handbury born to David in 1788 and a Thomas born to John in 1789. There are no births recorded there for a Henry around that time – although there is an older Henry as has already been mentioned 1774 and he married a Grace Slinn. I could not find the burial of a Grace Slinn so I think it unlikely there was a second marriage There was also the death of a young Henry in 1799 as I previously said.

As I am still awaiting the arrival of the death certs for Henry and Sarah I thought I’d look up the burial records and guess what ? …there were no burials in Alfreton in 1848 for a Henry or Sarah Handbury. It might be that the certs are a disappointment!

Needless to say I need to return and do the colliery records and wills. Phew! Can you see any links or other lines of enquiry from the above info?? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 August 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I think it would be interesting to see the marriage entry for John Handbury m Sophia Walton 3rd Dec 1832 Alfreton

In 1841 they are in Brimmington:

John 30
Sophia 25
Henry 8
Mary Ann 6
Joseph 4
Elizabeth 2m

and in 1851 in Swanwick:

John b Swanwick 1806
Sophia b Matlock 1815
Henry b Swanwick 1834
Joseph b Swanwick 1836
Mary Ann b Swanwick 1836
Sarah b Swanwick 1844
James b Swanwick 1846
Walter b Alfreton 1850

There is a baptism on IGI to fit John: at Alfreton, Jul 28th 1805, father Henry
and one for Ann Hanbury too 20th May 1807, parents Henry and Mary.
If John's mother was also Mary then there is a marriage at Ashover in 1802 for a Henry to
Mary White which would fit.

According to the census Henry was 60-64 in 1841 so he could have been married in 1802, had a couple of children baptised at Alfreton, then widowed and re-married.

Otherwise there must have been another Henry Handbury around who had John and Ann baptised at Alfreton.

Hope the death certs turn up soon and are helpful ;)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 August 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gardener  I have been working on your previous suggestions and now with this one you have got me very excited indeed!! You may have cracked it for me.

On the spreadsheet from my friend in Canada is a Henry Hanbury married to a Grace Slinn  08/04/1795 and then to Mary White 06/07/1802. WOW!!

He had  4 children that we know of with
Grace Slinn:
Mary 1797 – 1810 burned to death
Henry buried 1799
Jane bap 1801
Henry 1802 – 1878 m Sarah Hunt Sow maker of Soho and Covent Garden
One problem is the spreadsheet indicates Henry dies in 1805 . The burial register for Ashover gives names of those buried without much detail eg a child of Henry Handbury or wife of James Handbury, this means that it’s difficult matching up families as they all share common first names as well as surnames!! So I am not certain the info provided is correct yet.

If Mary White is his second wife then Sarah Bryan was his third wife. Is that likely do you think? I will try and get back to the record office to look up the other births, marriages and possible deaths you suggest -  but it can’t be for a couple of weeks…how frustrating now. But I really do think you have put me onto a strong possibility thank you very, very much indeed you are a star of the first order
:)

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 August 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you're on the right lines, perhaps the Shover records hold the answer, I once had three couples called William & Ann Bowler all around the same dates....all fitted with what I had so I had to do three mini trees to establish which one was right but I got there in the end, the moral is just keep digging for that elusive scrap of information that will solve your problem
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 August 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the encouragement omskirk.
 It's good to hear that it is possible to find a way through the maze of names, places and links. I was beginning to give up until you experts gave me some help.
I hope you don't mind me coming back with my results so you can help me analyse possible links? After sitting staring at names and possible connections I sometimes don't see the blindingly obvious.

If I can help anyone out in anyway I'd be very glad to return the favours. As I said in a prvious post I'll try and book a microfilm reader at the Derbyshire records office in a couple of weeks and would be happy to do some lookups.

Thanks again for your help and support   :D :D

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello to anyone who is interested!!

The death certs for Henry and Sarah Handbury have arrived and are as follows:

22 july 1848 Henry Handbury male 76 Blacksmith Disease of the heart Elizabeth Handbury present
                                                                               7 days certified

5 June 1848 Sarah Handbury 70 wife of Henry Handbury Blacksmith Decrepitude Elizabeth H present

This makes Henrys birth about 1772 and his age at marriage in 1811  as 39. So he could have been married previously.

Sarah would be born about 1778 and therefore 33 at marriage. It makes me wonder if Bryant was her maiden name or widowed name

If all this is correct then Henry could very well be the son of Thomas and Jane Handbury of Littlemore( Ashover registers) What I need to check is first wife Grace Slinn(m 1795) second wife Mary White( 1802)? Would I be able to do that via deaths do you think?

Thank you all so much helping me get this far ;D ;D

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 August 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
Glad that they turned out to be the right death certificates :-)

I just want to toss this in to the pot (I have to go and feed my family):

Remember the Mary Bryan (50) from 1841, with Henry Hanbury aged 8 in the same house?

1851 Next household to John and Sophia Hanbury posted above
George Bryan head 51 Swanwick
Mary ditto wife 63 ditto
Charles Lee lodger m 34
Hannah Lee wife 30 Matlock
Elizabeth Lee dau 6 Swanwick
James ?Clee 20 Pentrich (he was in the 1841 household)

Charles Lee 44
Hannah ditto 40
Elizabeth ditto 16
Thomas ditto 3
Mary Ann ditto 1

next house
George Bryan wid 63 Swanwick
Joseph Handbury nephew 23 ditto
James ditto nephew 15 ditto

I think Joseph and James Handbury are sons of John and Sophia.

George Bryan married Mary Walten 6 Jun 1827 Alfreton and if you recall, John Handbury m Sophia Walton 3rd Dec 1832 Alfreton.

Not sure if that adds anything but didn't want to lose it ;D
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrisboddington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

my great grandfather was a hanbury and i would love to see the spreadsheet you have mentioned

chris

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi'

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post Chris - I have been checking with my friend that it is ok with him that I share his research. He is happy to do so , as is another friend who also did a lot of hard work.

I am not sure how I send it to you other than by posting our e mail addresses and sharing that way - but I was always told not to share my personal address on line. I am sure there is a way  to do this but as I am new to all this I would be grateful if someone could tell me how!! :)