Author Topic: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: eeny meeny miny mo - HANBURY/HANDBURY
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 August 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
I see on the IGI that there are 3 nmarriages for Hanbury at Alfreton

Henry married Sarah Bryan 19 Aug 1811
James married Sophia Elliott 18 Nov 1811
Thomas married Elizabeth Fidler 27 Jan 1812

Thomas and Elizabeth are both in Swanwick in 1841/51 and in the latter Thomas is born Ashover 1786

Any chance that James or Thomas was a brother? I can't find James in the census at the moment which is a pity.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you the three of you for responding ....it's so good to know I'm not alone!
 I have taken your advice and sent for what I hope is the death cert of Henry ...and I have included what appears to be his wife Sarah . They appear to have died within months of each other in 1848 so I wait the arrival of the certs. (Henry married Sarah Bryan in 1811 at Alfreton)

Matlock holds the registers for Derbyshire so I went and started with the parish records for Swanwick where I know they were in 1841. Swanwick
 district came under Alfreton as there was no church in Swanwick until later in the 1800's. Descendants from Henry lived in Alfreton so I checked both Alfreton and Swanwick.

I do not know why Uncle Don said he believed the family came from Ashover...the letter is from the 1950's and he is long since departed at the ripe old age of 95. The Henrys in Ashover of the correct age are married or died early so I discounted them. I suppose Sarah could have been his second wife maybe??
 Thank you so much for helping me ...maybe I should just give in on this one and accept I will never know. Although on the bottom of the page in the 41 census showing Henry aged 60 is a Henry aged 8..surely a relation???

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to mention his occupation...

Henry was a Blacksmith at the colliery and it appears that it was something of a family vocation ...a number of his descendants are also blacksmiths at a local colliery, I presume Swanwick

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 August 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Would it  be worth getting in touch with the local history society, or the local archives (sorry, I'm not local to Derbyshire, so I don't know where that would be) and asking them if they have records for the colliery. If Henry was a blacksmith there, his father very likely was too. If Henry was apprenticed, then the records might mention his father. It's a long shot, but if you have the time, I think it would be worth following up.

Thanks for explaining the Matlock link, I understand now!

ETA It might be worthwhile emailing these people at the Derbyshire County Council Local Studies Library. They might at least know where you should start looking:

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/local_studies/local_studies_libraries/county_hall_local_studies/default.asp

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 August 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aniseed ...why didn't I think of that?? Wood and trees spring to mind! The local studies place is very near the record office so I'll try to make the trek again.
I am following up on Gardeners suggestion (thanks for that) and also looking into the other marriages as possible siblings. I also am interested in  ayoung Henry Handbury aged 8 living  a few doors away from my 60 year old Henry, He is living with a Mary Bryan and Henry aged 60 married Sarah Bryan so must be more than a coincidence!

lots to look into - thanks a lot everyone I'll let you know where I get to - you've given me hope again!!

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 August 09 23:42 BST (UK) »

Although on the bottom of the page in the 41 census showing Henry aged 60 is a Henry aged 8..surely a relation???

The only one I can pin down is Henry son of John and Sophia but the 1841 has them in Brimington and Henry is listed there aged 8 too.
In 1851 John's age is given as 45, he is a blacksmith and born Swanwick it says.
There is a bapt on IGI for John Hanbury 28 Jul 1805, Alfreton, father Henry (no mother).

John Hanbury married Sophia Walton 3 Dec 1832 (IGI submitted entry) and it might be worth checking that marriage to see if his father was Henry or not (if it says), or who the witnesses were.
1805 would be before your Henry married Sarah.

There is a possible marriage for a Henry to Mary White at Ashover 6 Jul 1802
And interestingly enough a baptism for parents Henry and Mary at Alfreton: Ann bapt 20 May 1807

Does the Henry at Ashover who married Mary White show up in your data base? Is he accounted for or could he be the one you want ie. married again to Sarah. Does the marriage entry for Henry and Sarah say bachelor?

Hope you can follow that, I wrote it as I wandered around the records so it may not be very clear ;) Crossed with your post so did not see the Bryan connection.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
First of all welcome to rootschat, there are lots of good people on here and they will not think you're stupid for asking questions, we've all been at your stage, sometimes you have to approach things from different angles to arrive at the answer so don't give up, the clues are there somewhere you just have to recognise them, good luck
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
Will you let us know if you find out anything from the death certificate or anything else? I'm curious about him now!

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Omskirk and Aniseed

Thank you both very much for your support and interest. I feel much more positive now!! I'm sure you know that nagging frustration of not being able to make any progress.

I will very happily share the info I find with you. In fact I will very probably need your help again as I am quite sure that the information will not make anything crystal clear straight away! I am expecting the certs at the weekend or beginning of next week abd I have booked a space at the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock tomorrow (Thursday). The guy  at the end of the telephone said they had loads of colliery but not always personnel records. It will be great if I can just understand what my ancestors did for a living in those days.

If you have any suggestions on what I should look up I'd be happy to take advice and if I anyone wants a look up while I am there I could fit in a couple  - please get back to me tonight at the latest as I'm setting off early tomorrow and will do a check for postings before I go.

Thanks again for your support and I'll probably try and post my look up results on Friday- fingers firmly crossed.