Author Topic: Surname Sippe  (Read 4567 times)

Offline MaryDingle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname Sippe
« on: Sunday 09 August 09 05:51 BST (UK) »
Surname spelling could be Sippe/Sippi/Sippie/Sippee/Sippy
I am searching for the records of death, burial or cemetery headstone of my third great Grandfather whose first names would have been Andrew or possibly John Andrew. He was a bandmaster in some of the Irish militia and discharged from the Kerry Militia in 1829 aged 66 years. He was born in Hannover, Germany so probably circa 1763 but I don't have any record of a parish. I have written to the caretaker of Rathass Cemetery in Tralee County Kerry but as yet had no response. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline NToth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Sippe
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 11 00:40 GMT (UK) »
My Great-great Grandfather was also a Sippe (later Sippi) and was a bandmaster in the Kerry Militia.   He served in India where two sons (1844, 1847 and perhaps others?) were born.  His name was Charles A Sippe.  He was born around 1810 and died in 1877 in Canada.  His son, Charles Augustus Sippe (b 1844) was very musical and attended University in Dublin.  He came to Canada in 1865.  Their names in Canada were Sippi.  Perhaps there is some connection?  Norah Toth

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
1881 Census Canada;
(in this order)
Charles Sippi; 44
Rose; 35
Elizbth; 14
Arthur; 12
Charles; 9
George; 7
Cecil; 5
Azulia; 3
Rose; 1
George; 33

That list is available at;
http://search.labs.familysearch.org

Jack

Offline NToth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack, I do have that part of the information.  Charles Sippi date of birth and age have been switched on the census - he was born in 1844 and should therefore be 38 in 1881 - I have figured that out from family records.  I am wanting to go back further, if that is at all possible.    Any suggestions?  Would they have Kerry Militia records (related to Ireland or India) in Dublin or in London?  Norah   (George - age 7 - was my Grandfather)

Offline MaryDingle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Norah
Yes, I have been researching the family for several years and although I have no definite proof I do believe we would probably be distant cousins. I think the surname Sippe would have been altered to Sippi in Canada due to the French pronounciation which would have required a acute over the e therefore became written as an i so it could be pronounced Sippe not Sip - no proof just my understanding. I do however have proof that Andrew Sippe I am 100% sure would have been our Great Great Great Grandfather and lived in Ireland. Could we have further discussion via email do you think please Norah.
Happy New Year
Mary

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
The Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser;
6/11/1832

Royal Hotel;
By and advertisement in another column, we percieve that Mr. Sippe is about to dispose of his interest in the Royal Hotel. Together with the household furniture, Plate, Linen and wines,
Mr Sippe, who we understand had property left to him in Ireland, which with a desire to see his father, induces him to relinquish an establishment wherein
within the last 12months he had cleared £600. Mr. Sippe purposes to embark for Ireland early in the ensuing year but expects to return to the colony in a short time.

The Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser;
Thursday 21/2/1833

We recently observed, in a contemporary, a notice of the death, at Tralee in Ireland, Mr. Andrew Sippe, professor of music and for many years master of the band of the Kerry Militia. We have since been informed that the deceased was father to our respectable fellow-colonist Mr Sippe of Sydney. The Dublin playgoers-and we are among the rest, well remember the elder Mr Sippe as principle Aboe player in the orchestra of the Theatre Royal.
We were not personaly known to Mr Sippe in Ireland but we are enabled to state that we believe he was much respected.

Jack

Offline NToth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 11 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack.  I had found that information in the paper but it didn't look like George Sippe ever returned to Ireland for a visit.  I'm sure it would have been quite a trip!  Norah