Author Topic: Hampshire Bramshott  (Read 4756 times)

Offline strud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hampshire Bramshott
« on: Sunday 09 August 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
:)Am trying to find information on the Strudwick family. I know Sarah was born in 1770 in Bramshott and in 1795 she had a son named George. Can anyone give me the name of Georges father and also what happened to Sarah after 1799 . It is possible that Sarah also had two other children but no record of their christening has been found. Thank you.  Strud

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hampshire Bramshott
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
If George was illegitmate you may not be able find out who his father was.  :(

If there is no father mentioned in the parish register (it's unusual to find the father named) your best hope is to look for a bastardy order.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline strud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for email, am unable to find a bastardy order at Hants record office, but will continue to search poor law records. thanks again . ??? ???Strud

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
I found George's baptism on 10 May 1795, described as base-born.  If Sarah was born and baptised in Bramshott, then her parents would appear to be Richard and Mary and she was baptised on 8 April 1770.  Robert & Mary had their children baptised in Steep.

I cannot find a burial for Sarah, but there is a marriage to a James Fielder on 22 Oct 1809 in Hawkley.

Looking at the information in your other post, you would like to know what happened to Sarah after 1799.  Why that particular date?  Have you found mention of her somewhere?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline strud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:55 BST (UK) »
??? Hello Nel, Interesting what you have discovered, I thought Richard came from Steep and Robert was the Bramshott connection. In my searches I found that a Robert married Ann and had 5 children baptized,later on a Robert had five children with Mary but no marriage details ever found. In the churchyard two Roberts were buried in 1789 one aged 80 the other 75--- I do not know which one was Sarah father ( if at all)
The marriage of Sarah to James Fielder  in 1809 has been investigated, don"t think she is my link , believe that Sarah was a widow.
The last info on my Sarah was that in 1799 she was getting poor law/ parish relief for George plus 2 others. I am unable to find a marriage or death for her in Hampshire but George was still in Bramshott in 1809 when he was boarded out with I think a Mr Hathaway. For the record George married in 1824 at Binstead near Alton. Thanks again for your efforts, I have been trying for years to solve what happened to Sarah and the name of Georges father.  Best regards Strud. ??? ???

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
If it's any use:
Richard Strudwick married Sarah Vollar 28 Dec 1769 in Steep, seven children baptised there.

A Robert Strudwick married Ann Baxter 15 Jul 1758 in Bramshott, but I've not found a marriage to a Mary.  Checked licenses as well.  But there is this one in Sussex:

Robert Strudwick of ?Carford, m Mary Albery (otp) 15 Nov 1781 in Rudgwick.
A Sarah Strudwick married John Briggs 21 Apr 1800 also in Rudgwick.  Both otp.

Possibly worth investigation?

Nell

Offline strud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 09 16:04 BST (UK) »
??? Hello Nel, Have investigated your recent email but no luck with Sarah or Robert. I have another question , Sarah had three children, but can only find details of George being born in 1795. Any suggestions where I can find details of the other two, there is no mention of them in the Bramshott Parish records or in nearby villages? Thanks again for your help . Regards Strud.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any evidence of other children at the moment through searches of surrounding parishes.  What leads you to the belief that there might be two more children?  Any names?

Nell

Offline strud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Nell, I found in the 1799 Bramshott Poor law records, payments for the care of Sarah's three children, ie George plus two others. I have learnt that from 1783/1794 the Stamp Duty act was in force so to register a birth etc it cost 3d. Many of the poor could not pay so I suspect her two other children ( born perhaps in that period ) were not officially recorded. George was OK , he was baptized in 1795.-----yet another " Strudwick " query to resolve !!!.  Regards Strud