Author Topic: Eleanor Jane Simpson - Whitehaven  (Read 2718 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Eleanor Jane Simpson - Whitehaven
« on: Sunday 09 August 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Trying to find Eleanor Jane Simpson born 24 May 1890 at Whitehaven Workhouse, Preston Quarter to Eleanor Simpson, domestic servant of Whitehaven.
Any help appreciated.
Thank You.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor Jane Simpson - Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 09 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

She was with grandmother Elizabeth JAMES in 1891 - look for Ellen J SIMPSON 1890 Whitehaven.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 09 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff.

Thank you for that - it seems like the only option but if that is her mother in 1891 she is calling herself Emma.   An Emma also appears as a housekeeper in 1901 with more children in Arlecdon & states she is a widow but Ellen is still with great-grandmother Elizabeth. No deaths recorded for an Eleanor 1890-1901. The mother was named as Eleanor on the birth certificate - appreciate this could have a few variations but have never heard of Emma as one of them. Very strange - trust me to get another awkward one.
Can't seem to find a middle piece to match them - missing a generation somewhere.

Best Wishes.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
I must admit I didn't realise she was great granddaughter in 1891.

I can't spot a SIMPSON/JAMES marriage in Cumb.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 09 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

Still struggling with this one, although I have unravelled a little more but any help would again be appreciated. It does get a little complicated.
Eleanor Jane Simpson 1890 Whitehaven was the daughter of Emma McKee and James Simpson married at Whitehaven March 1887. Although I never find any trace of James on the 1891 census & by 1901 Emma  is a widow & housekeeper in Arlecdon.  He was not named on the birth certificate of Eleanor Jane Simpson. The last child born to this couple was in Sept 1899 but no record of a death for James around this time in Cumberland.
Eleanor was born at the workhouse in 1890 & lived with her great-grandmother Elizabeth James & her mother in 1891 & with her great-grandmother in 1901.  Great grandmother died in 1905.  Her great-grandmother Elizabeth James was widowed in 1874 & married Thomas James in Dec 1875. Previously she was married to Jonathan Richardson of Greystoke.
The parents of Emma McKee were Ellen Jane Richardson & William McKee married in June 1868 at Whitehaven.  Ellen Jane & her 2 daughters Emma & Annie are living with her mother Elizabeth Richardson (later James) at Moresby in 1871. Her father Jonathan a joiner is abroad.
Emma's husband William is not at home either. He is a tailor.  I think he may die in Dec 1881 age 33 years at Whitehaven.  So they should appear on the 1881 census I would have thought.
I cannot find any trace of Ellen Jane Richardson/McKee or William and daughter Annie after 1871 - so help here would be appreciated.

Thank You
Sandra