Author Topic: Richard AKERMAN, Sarah ROMAN & Mary WESTON, Patney, Chirton and surroundings.  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi!

I am looking for the birthplaces/dates/parents of Richard AKERMAN (or sometimes ACREMAN/ACROMAN) "of Patney" and Sarah ROMAN "of Chirton" (aka "Cherington") who married in Chirton, Wiltshire on 24th Nov 1729.

I am also looking for the birthplace/date/parents of Mary WESTON who married their son Richard AKERMAN/ACREMAN/ACROMAN, yeoman, (chr 3rd Feb 1738, Patney) in Patney on 26th Feb 1764.

I am told Richard AKERMAN and Mary WESTON had a daughter Ann AKERMAN, christened on 24th July 1769 (not listed on LDS/IGI), and this is the one that married my ancestor George BURDEN c1765 in Patney on 27th Jan 1790 - not the Ann AKERMAN christened on 10th Jan 1772, daughter of another of Richard and Sarah's sons, William AKERMAN c1742 and Anne WITCHELL of Urchfont, married in Urchfont on 23rd April 1764.

I have looked at the LDS/IGI website and Philmores for Patney/Chirton.

I'd be very grateful indeed for any information on any of these people from parish records and other sources.

Thanks very much!

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline nrh3296

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard AKERMAN, Sarah ROMAN & Mary WESTON, Patney, Chirton and surroundings.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Therese - it's a guess more than solid info, but your Richard could be the one baptised in Bishops Cannings on 17th Aug 1690, son of Robert Akerman and Rebecca Vezey.  He effectively disappears from BC (no marriage or death that I can find) and Patney is only a mile or so away.

Hope this helps, Neil...

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard AKERMAN, Sarah ROMAN & Mary WESTON, Patney, Chirton and surroundings.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  :)

That could be him.  I'll look into it.

Do you have the Akerman family in your tree, by the way?  And are there any earlier records in that case, of course...  ;-)

Thanks again,

Therese.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I have partly managed to answer this.  It turns out that ROMAN was an alternative for RUMMIN or RUMMINGE.

Still trying to find Mary WESTON!  ;-)

Therese.

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 10 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theresa,

Do you know this site for Ackerman  Baptisms/marriages and Deaths, mainly in Dorset but some in Wilts.I have tracked a number of Ackerman ancestors .

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ackermanuk/index.html

Just have to remember that Baptism dates are not birth dates so can be a few years out

Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

Yes I had seen it but had not looked at it for a while as it didn't cover the areas I was interested in.

Taking another look, it goes back as far as the christenings of Richard Akerman and Sarah Roman/Rummin/Ruminge's children in Patney, but there is nothing before that unless they are from far further away than I had thought.

The complete PRs of Bishops Cannings, All Cannings and Etchilhampton are online free at www.archive.org by the way, which have a fair number of Akermans, Westons and Roman, Romaine, Rummin, etcs.

I am still trying to make sense of these!

Am I right in thinking that IGI still doesn't cover much of the Patney records?  They would be the obvious place to look!  ;-)

Thanks again,

Therese.

Offline PhilAk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
I've just found this thread whilst doing my own research. It appears we share the same ancestors Richard Akerman of Patney and Sarah Roman from Chirton.

In my case i'm descended from their son Stephen (baptised 1740 in Patney) and Stephens son William b1774 (Via Williams second marriage to Hannah).

Did you find out any more about Richard or confirm his birthplace as BC? I'm off to the records office in a couple of hours to continue the quest.
Cheers.

Phil Akerman

Edit. It appears Sarah died in 1775 and is buried at Patney. I found the last Will and Testament of Richard Akerman (father of Richard, Stephen and others) dated 1767 and "proved " in 1772 so presumably Riichard died about 1771/2 although that record is missing. Unfortunately there is no evidence of age for Richard or Sarah but if Richard died in 1771 that would make him 81 if he is the BC Richard , not inconceivable since his son Stephen lived till he was 88.

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 September 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this! :)

As you can see, I've taken a rather long break from all this.  I have a dreadful cold this morning and so am not feeling all that bright but I'll have a think about your research idc.

Was the will interesting?  I know almost nothing about these people so any light that can be thrown on them would be very interesting indeed.

I had thought I might join the Society of Genealogists at some point as their library apparently holds many (all?) parish records in the country & is only a couple of miles down the road from here, so that might help.  However I've been a bit busy with other things for the last few months, so not worth joining yet.

Have you found anything else interesting in the meantime?

All the best,

Therese.