Author Topic: Unknown soldier & uniform  (Read 3921 times)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown soldier & uniform
« on: Monday 10 August 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I am needing a bit of help with this photo. It is amongst my grandparent's photos but so far I do not have a name for the person nor a regiment.

Can anyone give me a lead.

Excuse my ignorance. As the subject is wearing a kilt. Is it a Scottish regiment as I have a yet not found a link to Scotland.

Is this a WW1 photo?
What regiment is the uniform?
Where might the photo have been taken?

Only family members I have found to be in the army during WW1 so far are my grandfather who was in the First Life Guards and his brother which I posted earlier suggested to be a gunner in the Royal Artilery.

Hoping for some thoughts.

dmr
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown soldier & uniform
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
Going by the badge on the cantle of the sporran it looks like he was a member of the Seaforth Highlanders (The Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albanys) Regiment.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
I'd go with the Seaforths as well.
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
The photo is taken in a photographic studio, and it would appear that he has been 'dressed-up' for the ocassion.   ???
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi DMR

A bit more info for you.  The jacket is pre-WW1 and is a Yeomanry jacket.  The collar badges on the jacket depict the Lovat Scouts.

Here's a link to a bit of their history:

http://www.qohldrs.co.uk/html/lovat_scouts.htm
McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
The collar badge of the Lovat Scouts:

McKay:

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks "old rowley", "DavidGreenall110" and "atom12" for your responses.

Am I correct that the Lovat Scouts were part of the Seaforth Highlanders?
Would the men in the Scouts only be from Scotland?
(The photo is of similarity to my ancestors in looks but I cannot find anyone born in Scotland at all let alone around this time frame)

Would Englishmen also have joined a Scottish regiment? (I have heard of Australians that joined the British army in WW1)

One of the articles online regarding the Lovat Scouts did mention their involvement in protecting the coast and being at Grimsby at one time.
My great grandmother "Ede Thompson" was born at Grimsby so this may be a key.
The timeframe suggests the gentleman might be Ede's husband "John Edward Crow" or one of her brothers.

Any ideas how I could check for known family names being enlisted.

Sorry for the delay with my response. My computer has had a bit of trouble but is on the mend now.

Thanks from Australia
DMR
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi DMR,

In response to your query, most regiments did recruit in their own areas which meant at the start of the war these regiments were made up of men from that area. However, as the war progressed when you joined up you were posted to whichever regiment needed replacements, unless it was a "Pals" Battalion which was made up from men who were all from the same area.

They did try and keep Scottish men in Scottish regiments but this wasn't always possible therefore, this man could be from the Grimsby area. Alternatively, it could have been a Scot that your Great Grandmother had befriended or had lodging with her?

Is there any writing on the back? Photographers Name or Studio?

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi DMR found this online.
I have lads from West Yorkshire mining areas joining Kilted Scots Regiments for reasons such as they"liked the uniform and wanted to stand out"

The National Archives Medal Index Cards you can search online have a number of Lovat Scouts listed.

"The two Lovat Scouts battalions saw extensive involvement in the First World War. Each battalion raised two further duplicate battalions (2/1st & 2/2nd) during the war. The Lovat Scouts saw service on the Western Front, at Gallipoli, and in Egypt and Macedonia.

In Macedonia in December 1916 the 1/1st and 1/2nd battalions were merged, dismounted and along with a company from the 1/3rd battalion The Scottish Horse formed 10th (Lovat Scouts) Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. It still retained the uniform of the Lovat Scouts until disbanded in 1919.

The 2/1st and 2/2nd battalions were based at home in the United Kingdom and provided drafts for the 1/1st, 1/2nd and 10th Bn Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. From 1916 when they merged to form the 1st (Lovat Scouts) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment.

The 3/1st and 3/2nd battalions were raised in 1915 and provided drafts to 1st and 2nd Line battalions. They were disbanded in 1917 and the personnel were distributed between the 1st (Lovat Scouts) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment and 3rd (Special Reserve) Bn, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders"

Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.