Author Topic: Who are these people - Houghtons?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who are these people - Houghtons?
« on: Monday 10 August 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
This picture was annotated "Granny and Grandad Houghton" by my mother, signifying that it was probably William and Elizabeth (nee Harris) Houghton.  It has been restored via this site (Thanks Hobbo and Deb) and dated (thanks Pru) to around 1910, possibly.  However, William died in 1903 aged 63 and Elizabeth was still gadding about around WWI and after, and looking much more buxom than this frail soul.  Having already identified a different photograph in someone else's collection, I am wondering if - by the remotest chance - someone may have this in their old albums and knows definitively who they are.  I'd probably have more luck winning the lottery; however, if one doesn't buy a ticket (or ask the question) one can't possibly win....
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who are these people - Houghtons? COMPLETED
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is still around reading this, these people are the Houghtons.  Misinformation on the backs of other photographs around the turn of the century (1800s to 1900s that is) has been corrected by a family member, recently 'discovered', who has another photograph that has been identified by a living member of the family and thus turning all my preconceptions on their heads!  Thank goodness I have not yet incorporated photographs into my trees - I am now fairly organized with corrected information.  By the way, the lady in the photograph was not still 'kicking around in WWI', in fact she died in 1901, 2 years before her husband.

I urge anyone who still has 'paper' photographs, for the sake of future generations, mark them up correctly NOW, for who knows, you yourself may become a part of a family tree - as an ancestor! :)
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee