Author Topic: help with reading faded script  (Read 1576 times)

Offline jborch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with reading faded script
« on: Monday 10 August 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I posted this in another thread but I think it's buried, please forgive me for the "bump."

I found the marriage record for my ancestors Thomas Agnew and Anne Carroll in the LDS film 0926133. They were married Aug. 11, 1852 somewhere in Knockbride parish. They ended up living in Drummamuck Glebe, so it may be somewhere close to there. The placename in the register is barely legible. I was  wondering if anyone had any idea (please see attached image). It looks like Glass-something, but the closest townland in the Knockbride/Killann/Bailieboro/Kilmore area I could find was Glassdrummond.

Thank you!
Joel

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with reading faded script
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
It's such a bad copy that it is difficult to be sure. Aren't that many places in Co. Cavan the are Glass---. Don't think it's long enough a word to be Glassdrummond. My best guess is Glasstown but that's in Kildallan Parish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jborch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with reading faded script
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 22:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I was wondering if it might be Crossdoney, but the first and second letters sure look like Gl.  I'm going to try to capture the image again with some different lighting on the scanner.